Telstra wholesale mobile customers hit by vendor platform issue

The issue impacted the mobile virtual network operating services of some wholesale customers

The 3G and 4G services provided by some of Telstra’s wholesale mobile network customers were disrupted on 19 June due to a “vendor platform error”.

As reported by News Corp Australia, the disruptions saw mobile internet and voice services affected in a number of cities, including Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Brisbane.   

While Telstra’s mobile services have been hit by a number of network issues recently, a spokesperson for the telco stressed that the latest disruptions were not caused by its own network, but rather due to a third party issue.

“There is no issue with Telstra’s 3G and 4G network,” the spokesperson told ARN. “There was a vendor platform issue that impacted mobile virtual network operating services for a small number of wholesale customers.

“The majority of those services have already been restored. We apologise to these wholesale customers for any inconvenience,” the spokesperson said.

It is understood that the issue impacted a small number of people on smaller operators that tap into the Telstra network to resell services, such as Aldi Mobile and Woolworths Mobile, and that the issue has since been fixed.

On 22 May, Telstra revealed that the network issues that hit its 3G and 4G mobile services in the morning on 21 May were caused by a software fault, although the root cause of the fault is still being investigated.

Telstra’s 3G and 4G services were hit by network issues just after the beginning of the work day on 21 May – the third time this month the telco’s mobile network has run into service snags.   

Just weeks earlier, Telstra found itself working to resolve a partial network outage that hit on 1 May after 4G voice calls in various areas around the country were hit by the service disruption.

Just days later, on 4 May, Emergency Triple Zero call services and mobile Telstra services in at least four states were hit by intermittent “interruptions” after a cable was damaged by fire, the cause of which remains unknown.