IT job market stability in Australia takes an upswing
- 07 June, 2016 12:27
The IT job market in Australia is on a significant upward curve, according to specialist recruitment agency, Clicks IT Recruitment.
In its quarterly IT Employment Confidence Index, the company found that there is a 26 per cent increase in the perceived stability of the IT job market.
This quarter, it polled more than 500 people, 99 per cent of which were from people living and working in Australia. 80 per cent of the respondents were currently employed, with the remaining 20 per cent not in employment.
When questioned if they expect to lose their jobs in the next 12 months, 38 per cent mentioned yes, while 43 per cent said maybe and 19 per cent said no. In addition, 55 per cent said they were positive about the future of their employers, while 11 per cent were negative and 34 per cent were neutral.
Clicks IT Recruitment managing director, Ben Wood, said with shifts as high as 26 per cent as compared to 12 months ago, there is clear optimism among those thinking they may lose their job, or planning to look for a new job.
This sentiment is supported across the index, with the lowest results on record for those who currently think it is hard to get a job in IT. 57 per cent of respondents were positive about their ability to secure a new job in IT, while 26 per cent of respondents were neutral and 17 per cent were negative.
Further, the prospect of those feeling positive about their overall employment was up 12 per cent from last quarter, at an all-time high of 59 per cent.
The only area of the index that reflected a less positive outcome was current Australian economic conditions. Only 29 per cent of the market was positive, while 49 per cent of respondents were neutral and 22 per cent were negative about it.
Wood said this may be attributed to uncertainty in government contractors due to the upcoming federal election.
“The timing of the survey may have impacted this area. Being so close to a federal election, it’s not surprising that people are feeling less optimistic due to uncertainty.
“Clicks will shortly be undertaking its annual Job Seeker Satisfaction survey. This is a major research piece that delves much more deeply into job seeker sentiment. Based on the activity we are seeing in the market, we are expecting the highs from this quarter’s Index to be sustained,” he said.
In addition, in describing the current IT job market, 18 per cent said there are plenty of available jobs, while 29 per cent mentioned it’s hard to get a job and 53 per cent picked somewhere in between.
Wood added that at 18 per cent, those viewing the IT job market as plentiful are at an all-time high. Correspondingly, those finding it hard are at an all-time low since the commencement of this index.