IT employees confident about economic climate, survey says
- 01 December, 2015 11:00
Confidence about current Australian economic conditions rose during the last quarter, according to Clicks IT Recruitment’s quarterly Confidence Index.
The company polled over 500 IT professionals, of which 99 per cent were based in Australia. Of those surveyed, 80 per cent were currently employed and the remaining 20 per cent were out of work.
The survey showed 30 per cent of IT workers had a positive outlook on the economic climate in Australia, up from 22 per cent last quarter, with neutral responses steady at 46 per cent.
The company said this translated to the number of respondents who are likely to be looking for a new IT job in the next 12 months rising from 49 per cent to 52 per cent.
Confidence about the state of the IT job market is steady according to Clicks compared to last quarter, with 53 per cent of respondents feeling positive about employment prospects.
Clicks managing director, Ben Wood, said almost all respondents live on the east coast of Australia, especially in NSW and Victoria.
“Whilst overall economic growth in Australia is subdued, the NSW and Victorian economies are currently the strongest. This, together with the recent change in political leadership, may account for the continuing lift in optimism our Index is reporting,” he said.
Clicks said confidence levels as indicated by the Index had steadily improved through 2015 and this has been reflected in Clicks’ business activity, with a steady increase in the number of new available job opportunities.
With the new year often triggering the decision to look for a new role, Clicks also said it was expecting higher levels of applications in January 2016 compared to previous years.