The lunch box - 07/12/09
- 07 December, 2009 12:21
It’s summer time! But, since you’re in the office, pass the time until the weekend and the beach with some refreshing news pieces.
- It’s been a busy year, with ups and downs coming from all directions. In this photo slide show, we look at some of the most prominent – and controversial – people in IT.
- The NBN continues to steam ahead. This time, integrator, Nextgen, has won a $250 million contract to roll out the cables to parts of rural Australia.
- Ingram Micro chief, Jay Miley, talks about his first 12 months in the role and looks to 2010.
State of the market
- After a bright opening, markets slipped on the back of major tumble in the gold price. At close of trading, the S&P/ASX200 was down 25.7 points at 4676.5.
- The Aussie dollar was up fractionally at $US0.9160. Gold prices fell more than 4 per cent and nearly $US50 to $US1169.0 an ounce while oil prices were slightly down to $US76.1 a barrel.
- Flying high: Virgin Galactic readie maiden suborbital [price - only $US200,00 a seat
- Technology: Gov 2.0 unveils draft report
- Apple: Buys 'MP3-killer' music streaming site
- Fightback: Turnbull blasts Abbott's ETS 'bullshit'
- Poll:Abbott gamble pays off for Libs
- Climate change: UN calls for bigger carbon cut targets
- Emails: 'Climatehack like Watergate'
- Jodee Rich: Packer was an 'evil father'
- Business: Low global rates may increase risk of new bubbles
- Internet TV: The next challenge for viewers
- Banking:Westpac reshuffles senior management
- Rat risotto: Celebs to face court
- Swimming: Olympic medallist claims sex abuse
- Umpire walks: Video review claims first scalp
- 2nd Test: Windies take game to Australians
- Football: Cahill strikes late as Everton snatch draw with Spurs
- Hockey: Epic fightback from Kookaburras secures perfect 10
- Golf:Scott breaks home duck with Open win
- Golf (2): Big pay day for Allenby
- World Cup 2010: Socceroos take high road in big game safari
- Rugby league: Bird signs with Gold Coast Titans
- Rugby union: Cooper charged with burglary
- Rock and roll's worst day: 40 years after Altamont
- Homebake: The ultimate homebrew
- Film: Disney waives historical wand
- Street Warriors: Ridgy-didge rappers connect with their culture
- We are not amused: Queen plans crackdown on paparazzi
- Travel: Qantas raises the bar
- Seasonal celebrations: World's biggest Christmas tree
- <i>Pet Shop Boys </i>:Cover Coldplay and Madness
For the evening:
- Paranormal activity looks really, really creepy, and Empire says it’s good, so perhaps horror fans have Christmas coming early this year.
- Sydney: Chance shower/afternoon thunderstorm. Min: 21, Max: 35
- Melbourne: Rain clearing. Min: 14, Max: 18
- Brisbane: Fine. Min: 22, Max: 33
- Perth: Mostly sunny. Min: 13, Max: 28
- Adelaide: Morning shower. Min: 15, Max: 20
- Hobart: Mainly fine. Min: 08, Max: 16
- Canberra: Windy. Afternoon shower/thunderstorm. Min: 14, Max: 32
- Darwin: Afternoon gusty storm. Min: 26, Max: 33
Product Wars: Best IT invention Results so far... 1st - Google - 75% 2nd - Netspace - 63% 3rd - Apple iPhone - 60% =4th - Apple iPods - 58% =4rd - Nintendo Gameboy - 58%
Don't forget to click here to vote for your favourite!