Networking briefs: Symmetrix, Damovo, Singapore Cisco
- 26 September, 2001 17:24
Singapore security JV
Singapore's Cisco Computer Security & Recovery Services and e-Cop.net, an Internet security services provider, have announced a multimillion-dollar joint venture that will offer fortified physical and cyber security for local companies. Cisco Computer Security has purchased a minority stake worth $4 million in e-Cop.net. Cisco's investment will fund e-Cop.net's future plans for research and development, expansion, and the hiring of additional security consultants and analysts.
Focus on Symmetrix
Data storage market leader EMC has announced three new Symmetrix disk arrays, claiming they offer users twice the raw storage capacity and 16 times the number of mainframe Escon connections supported by the company's existing devices. The new Symmetrix models 8830, 8530 and 8230 are aimed at what EMC described as "hyper-consolidation" uses, in which islands of direct-attached storage are combined within a single RAID device. The 8830 can hold up to 69.5TB of data and support as many as 80 PowerPC processors, the company said.
Damovo aims for Oz
Australia is one of five key markets in 19 countries to be targeted by the newly formed Damovo, a global business solutions provider. Damovo was spun out of Ericsson Enterprise (known as Ericsson Corporate Networks in Australia), which was the direct sales and services arm of Ericsson. Apax Partners Funds recently bought 80 per cent of the operation from Ericsson for $US480 million, with Ericsson retaining the other 20 per cent. In Australia - where an enterprise relationship management centre is being set up - Damovo hits the ground running with 180 staff. It is claiming Australian revenues in excess of $100 million and forecasting 50 per cent growth over the next 12 months. The company offers managed services, contact centre solutions, voice switching, mobility solutions and both data and voice/data networks.