Network Solutions Briefs: Alcatel, Netegrity, Novell

Network Solutions Briefs: Alcatel, Netegrity, Novell

Alcatel router fights off Cisco & JuniperAlcatel has announced two routers for the Internet core and edge with new traffic-engineering features and aggregation capacity.

The Alcatel 7770 Routing Core Platform (RCP) is a multiterabit IP core router that integrates IP routing with optical transport, according to the company. It also features traffic engineering and differentiated services tools, Alcatel says.

The Alcatel 7420 Edge Services Router enables carriers to aggregate thousands of dedicated lines for access to the Internet core. Market tracker RHK expects the North American edge router equipment market to be worth $US20 billion by 2003.

Alcatel's products will go up against Cisco's 12000 GSR in the core and 10000 ESR at the edge, as well as Juniper's M160 in the core and M10 and M5 at the edge. Avici Systems will also be a presence in the core for Alcatel to contend with. Product is expected to ship in May 2001.e-commerce security standard brewingNetegrity, a provider of software for Web access and control, will join Sun Microsystems, Art Technology Group, Commerce One, Jamcracker, Verisign and WebMethods to announce backing for a new specification defining security in e-commerce activity. According to sources, the XML specification, which backers hope to see become a standard at the World Wide Web Consortium, will provide a framework for security requirements, such as authentication, in business-to-business and business-to-consumer online environments.

Novell to spin-off caching company, VoleraIn a major strategic move, Novell will attempt to cash in on a red-hot market by spinning off its division that handles caching and hosted file services.

The new company, called Volera, will market and develop products from Novell's Net Content division, including the Internet Caching System (ICS), JustOn Hosted File Services and Content Exchange, Novell's content acceleration services for ISPs.

Volera will compete with CacheFlow, Inktomi, Network Appliance, Akamai and Digital Island for a piece of what the Internet Research Group says is a $US5.5 billion content delivery/caching market.

Novell will fund 80 per cent of Volera; the remaining 20 per cent will come from unnamed Novell partners, sources say. Novell wants these minority partners to help formulate the direction of the company. A complex set of cross-licensing agreements with Novell for the NetWare and directory services-based caching system may complicate the spin-off. Novell declined to comment.

Follow Us

Join the newsletter!


Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.


Show Comments