Six months after going live, Adelaide’s “GigCity” high-speed fibre optic network, which is being delivered by local internet service provider (ISP), EscapeNet, has hit 15 new precincts in the South Australian capital.
Adelaide’s $7.6 million high-speed internet network went live in August last year. EscapeNet won the contract to deliver the network after an extensive tender and evaluation process which began in December 2016.
The GigCity Adelaide network is being implemented by and delivered over the SABRENet fibre optic network using Adelaide-based Internet Service Provider EscapeNet.
As part of the deal, EscapeNet is delivering the internet services through the South Australian Broadband Research and Education Network (SABRENet) fibre optic network to key innovation sites and co-working spaces across metropolitan Adelaide.
The areas already hooked up to the network include the Tonsley Innovation Precinct, TechInSA, Stretton Centre and St Paul’s Creative Centre.
Now, 15 additional innovation precincts have been added to the fibre network. The new precincts are located across Adelaide’s metropolitan area. SABRENet will connect the precincts to its fibre optic network from February 2018.
The additional GigCity precincts were selected as part of a competitive expression of interest process, which opened in October 2017.
In addition to the new precincts, the South Australian Government is actively working with the Whyalla City Council, Mount Gambier City Council and UniSA to explore opportunities to extend the GigCity network to proposed new innovation hubs in both regional cities.
“Our GigCity network has already connected more than 106 businesses who are using high-speed internet to develop new ideas, create new opportunities for collaboration and drive job creation,” the state’s Science and Information Minister, Kyam Maher, said.
The new GigCity precincts are:
- North Terrace Cultural Precinct Innovation Hub (SA Museum, State Library of SA, History Trust of SA and the Art Gallery)
- Lion Arts Centre, North Terrace
- Techstars Adelaide, King William Street
- Microsoft Innovation Centre, Pirie Street
- The Foundry, Currie Street
- Allianz Centre Adelaide, Currie Street
- Prospect Road Innovation Precinct, Prospect
- Northern Adelaide Food Park, Kaurna Avenue, Edinburgh
- Town of Gawler Business Innovation Hub, Murray Street, Gawler
- Australian Advanced Materials Manufacturing Precinct, Womma Road, Edinburgh North
- Playford Creative Industries Precinct (Northern Sound System), Elizabeth Way, Elizabeth
- The Innovation Grid, Haydown Road, Elizabeth Vale
- Modbury Precinct, Smart Road, Modbury
- Hendon Studios, Butler Drive, Hendon
- Noarlunga Innovation Centre, Ramsay Place, Noarlunga
- Bulletproof backed by Takeovers Panel in MacTel buyout spat
- Sydney ISV eyes jobs bonanza after NSW Govt cash injection
- South Australia eyes $35M investment in fibre network expansion
- Data#3 wins $3.7M network solutions deal with the AFP
- Tech jobs bonanza on the horizon as Thales wins deal for $1.2B OneSKY project
- Ruckus Networks names A/NZ country manager