Australian non-profits have received a boost from Microsoft Australia through its #UpgradeYourWorldAU campaign with the software giant pledging $US500,000 to organisations making a difference in local communities.
Microsoft Australia citizenship manager, Anna Howarth, said the company had selected the first five local nonprofits that will receive a donation of $US50,000 each.
“We now want Australians to have their say, and help us to crowdsource the remaining five local nonprofits to receive a donation,” she said.
The Australian launch is part of the global Windows 10 #UpgradeYourWorld initiative, a year-long campaign with a total global investment of $US10 million.
The global initiative kick started with nine global organisations: CARE, Code.org, Keep a Child Alive, Malala Fund, Pencils of Promise, Save the Children, Special Olympics, The Global Poverty Project and The Nature Conservancy.
The Beagle Freedom Project has just been named the tenth global partner to join the program.
Microsoft said the local nonprofits are making a positive difference in the community and it was are pleased to partner with the organisations.
The first five local nonprofits selected are:
- Australian Business and Community Network (ABCN) partner schools with business, with a goal to improve opportunities and outcomes for disadvantaged students by raising aspirations and increasing awareness of the personal, educational and vocational choices available.
- Indigenous Digital Excellence Initiative (IDX) has been developed as a partnership between the National Centre for Indigenous Excellence and the Telstra Foundation, undertaking projects that strengthen Indigenous participation, practice and entrepreneurship in the digital economy.
- Infoxchange is a nonprofit social enterprise with a mission to strengthen communities using technology to create positive social change – helping more than 300,000 people get online and improve their quality of life.
- Social Traders works to break the cycle of disadvantage and build resilience in Australian communities through social enterprise. Social Traders is dedicated to raising awareness of social enterprise, building enterprise capability, and opening markets for social enterprises products and services.
- The Smith Family provides disadvantaged Australian children with tools and support to thrive at school – with this help extending to the child’s family and community with wrap-around support essential to breaking the cycle.
It is encouraging the public to jump on social media, use the hashtags #UpgradeYourWorldAU and vote.