A record number of NSW premises will soon have their copper telephone lines disconnected as part of the compulsory transition to the National Broadband Network (NBN).
According to Internet service provider, iiNet, 11,300 premises in NSW will be among the 21,000 nationally that get hit with a copper cut-off deadline day of April 17. This means that anyone who has not placed an order for an NBN service will have their phone lines disconnected within 10 working days from the abovementioned date.
iiNet claimed some 9600 homes and businesses in the Western Sydney suburbs of Rookwood, Lidcombe, Jamisontown, Windsor, South Windsor and Bligh Park will reach the copper disconnection deadline. In addition, another 1700 premises at Sawtell are expected to have their phone lines running flat.
iiNet NBN product manager, Rachael McIntyre, said this is the largest number of Sydney premises yet to reach the copper disconnection deadline and that consumers will need to act quickly if they want their copper lines connected.
“While phone and Internet services may not stop working on that date, they will within days, so it really is time for people to upgrade to the NBN. Households or businesses still relying on the old phone network need to choose either to switch across to the NBN or to go mobile-only,” she said.
McIntyre claimed that isn’t the only decision they will have to make. People who have yet to move to the NBN first must choose whether they want an Internet access service, a phone service or both.
And if they use services such as faxes, monitored security alarms, Priority Assistance Services or EFTPOS terminals on their premises, they’ll need to speak to the providers of these services to confirm that they work on the NBN.
The next step, according to McIntyre, would be to select an NBN retail service provider that best meets their needs in terms of product, pricing and customer service.
“People do need to make the choice. We really want to ensure they don’t risk losing their phone and Internet service before they get NBN connected. iiNet has more than 60,000 residential and business customers using the NBN, so there’s nothing scary about making this move,” she added.
Since May last year, NBN Co has been progressively announcing areas across Australia that have reached the deadline for ageing copper telephone networks to be disconnected permanently as part of the move to the NBN.
In the first six months of this year, more than 140,000 premises across Australia are scheduled to be affected by the disconnection deadline – which tallies up to be nearly three times as many as that of last year unless Aussies take the necessary actions to prevent it.