About 40,000 premises across Australia face imminent disconnection of their copper phone lines this week as NBN Co ramps up the compulsory migration to the NBN.
From Friday, February 20, premises at communities in Darwin, Toowoomba, Brisbane, Coffs Harbour, Gosford, western Sydney, Kiama, Canberra, Melbourne, and throughout Tasmania will hit a deadline for disconnecting their copper telephone lines.
Since May last year, NBN Co has progressively announced areas in Australia that have reached the deadline for ageing copper telephone networks to be disconnected permanently as part of moving to the NBN.
More than 163,000 premises throughout Australia are scheduled to hit that copper cut-off deadline in the first six months of 2015 - nearly three times as many as in all of last year.
iiNet NBN Product Manager, Rachael McIntyre, said consumers needed to act quickly or risk being cut off.
“While phone and Internet services won’t stop working on that date, they will very soon afterwards, so it really is time for people to upgrade to the NBN," she said.
"Any households or businesses that still rely on the old telephone network should review their options, so they can choose the NBN-based telephony and Internet services that meet their needs.
iiNet already has more than 50,000 residential and business customers using the NBN.
McIntyre said anyone who had not signed up for an NBN service needed to make a number of decisions.
“Firstly, they need to decide what they require, whether that’s an Internet access service or just a telephone service or both,” she said.
“Secondly, if they use services that traditionally require the copper network, such as faxes, monitored security alarms, Priority Assistance Services or EFTPOS terminals, then they need to speak to the manufacturers of these services and confirm they will work on the NBN.
“The third step is to select the NBN Retail Service Provider, like iiNet, that best meets their needs, in terms of product, pricing and customer service. People do have to act and make the choice.
"We really want to make sure they don’t risk losing their phone and Internet service before they get the NBN connected.”