Non-profit guidance resources provider, Isaca (previously known as Information System Audit and Control Association), has issued five guidance questions it believes directors must ask to ensure their enterprise’s Cloud initiative is in line with business objectives.
According to Isaca’s ‘Cloud Governance: Questions Boards of Directors Need to Ask’ white paper, the questions (listed below) are critical in determining strategic value of Cloud services, and the impact Cloud could have on resources and controls.
- Do management teams have a plan for Cloud computing?
- How do current Cloud plans support the enterprise’s mission?
- Have executive teams systematically evaluated organisational readiness?
- Have management teams considered what existing investments might be lost in their Cloud planning?
- Do management teams have strategies for measuring and tracking the value of Cloud returns versus risk?
Isaca board member, Marc Vael, said the answers to these questions determine the enterprise’s readiness to adopt Cloud, and ensure the appropriate governance is in place.
“The COBIT 5 framework for governance and management of IT can also help enterprises manage investments such as Cloud services,” he said. “COBIT 5 helps ensure consistent practices to maximise value and manage risk.”
The full white paper can be downloaded free from Isaca’s web site following registration to the site.
Isaca will discuss this topic further at its Oceana CACS2013 conference in Adelaide between September 23 and 25. Interested parties can register for the event via the dedicated event web site.