Earlier this month, Apple filed the lawsuit against the Korea-based electronics vendor in the Federal Court which effectively blocked the release of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia.
Apple has taken Samsung to court in other countries including US and Germany.
In Australia, Apple had analysed a US model of the Galaxy Tab and concluded the device had violated a torrent of patent claims. Samsung fired back, claiming Apple should have judged the Australian version of the product.
After being sent the Australian version last week, Apple today conceded it did have “reduced functionality” compared to the US model but the lawsuit is still going ahead.
In the Federal Court, the barrister representing Apple, Stephen Burley SC, said investigations are ongoing but so far the new product still infringes 24 claims of Apple patents. It violates at least two patents but that number is likely to go up by the time of the interlocutory hearing scheduled in mid-September, he said.
The block on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 expires on Thursday and Samsung is technically free to release the product locally by Friday.
Initially, Samsung’s barrister, Mr Catterns, said his client proposes to launch the Galaxy Tab 10.1 by the end of the week beginning September 12. T
he presiding judge, Justice Annabelle Claire Bennet, advised against it since there is the potential the product would have to be pulled off the shelf before the case was resolved.
“We are prepared to defer our launch by two weeks to the September 30,” Catterns told the Federal Court.
Samsung has agreed to give Apple at least 48 hours notice before launching the Galaxy Tab 10.1 in Australia.
In the US, Apple took aim at more than just the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 but at the vendor’s smartphone line-up as well.
The tablet has already been released in the US while a German court has blocked the sale of the product in Europe.
The Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 is intended to be a direct competitor to the Apple iPad 2.
The Federal Court case continues.