Monitors hold up despite IT slowdown - Inform

Monitors hold up despite IT slowdown - Inform

Industry flat spots don't appear to be affecting the market for indirect monitor sales which recorded a boost of 6 per cent in August over July, according to channel research analyst Inform.

August's monitor market growth reversed the downward trends experienced through June and July which some pundits said marked a plateauing of the market.

Cathode ray technology (CRT) monitors continue to dominate the market, accounting for 92 per cent of all sales, while the remaining 8 per cent were taken up by emerging (FPD) products, yet it is the latter that is growing fastest. August saw the CRT market grow a healthy 4 per cent in month-to-month figures, but CRT sales are on the march with a significant 42 per cent jump for the month.

Hakan Alac, senior research analyst at Inform, attributed the hike in FPD sales volumes to a 7 per cent drop in the average street price.

"Despite some vendors suggesting that FPD prices have bottomed out, our figures from the reseller channel are showing otherwise. This is good news . . . flat panels are becoming an increasingly popular proposition."

Inform's research also recorded the average price for a CRT and FPD monitors at $477 and $2557 respectively.

With all sales combined, LG Electronics, whose sales were up 8 per cent, remained market leader with a 16 per cent slice, ahead of Samsung and ViewSonic with 14 per cent each. Philips dropped a point to 13 per cent in August, according to Inform, and Philips held steady at 9 per cent.

Follow Us

Join the newsletter!


Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.
Show Comments