Market analyst, Ovum, peered into the future and came up with seven tech topics it claims are just cresting the horizon. They are:
- Proliferative innovation is all about how enterprises respond to the challenges of the growing proliferation of surprisingly useful 'leading edge' devices, apps and services.
- Desktop virtualisation will become an increasingly important element of enabling enterprises to manage proliferative innovation.
- Composite applications market will continue to grow in APAC in 2011; however, Ovum believes enterprises will increasingly look to build composite applications that leverage functionality offered by multiple suites to better support complex business processes.
- Stack delineation is being driven by the drive of vendors into non-traditional markets: telcos into services, hardware and cloud; software providers into hardware and appliances; services vendors into software; hardware vendors into higher margin services provision.
- Surviving sustainability strategies: Ovum expects CIOs to be increasingly accountable for IT and business energy costs.
- The continuing consumerisation of IT means the ‘iPhone effect’ will continue to gain traction within APAC in 2011 as consumer technology forces its way into organisations and IT departments scramble to react.
- Shifting security: Ovum believes that there will be a shift of accountability for security away from IT departments to the business, technology providers, and/or employees with ambiguity inevitable.