North Queensland has been ravaged by Cyclone Yasi but this has not push back the completion date of Townsville’s National Broadband Network (NBN) rollout, according to NBN Co.
Townsville was one of five first release sites selected for the NBN rollout.
Ergon Energy secured the contract to deploy the NBN in Townsville last year and had been laying fibre in the town since July.
Damage on overhead fibre cables are being assessed by Ergon Energy. NBN Co hopes this would shed some light on how this rollout design can hold up in extreme weather conditions.
According to NBN Co, falling trees have damaged many power poles its fibre cables were sitting on but the company is yet to determine the impact on cables themselves.
NBN Co does not expect any significant delays to the NBN construction in Townsville.
“It is important to stress we have undertaken only a preliminary assessment of the site,” NBN Co said in a statement. “Further tests will continue to take place over the coming days and weeks of all the network components including underground ducts and pits.”
At a press event on Thursday, Communications Minister, Senator Stephen Conroy, said the rollout in Townsville was almost finished but whether Cyclone Yasi has pushed back the completion date would not known until he hears back from Ergon Energy.