Halfway through the week – is it just us, or has this week been a slow one? Never mind, these news bits will help chew up some time.
- Microsoft’s new releases have been welcomed by Aussie partners as opportunities for collaboration.
- IPL Communications has been appointed as a sub-distributor for niche vendor, Sennheiser Communications
- AFACT’s attack on ISPs had a strong response from Perth-based ISP, iiNet – continuing the war between the two that began in the courts last year.
State of the market
- A positive lead off Wall St. has helped local markets open strongly. At 11:49am, the S&P/ASX200 was up 41.7 points.
- The Aussie dollar is selling for $US0.9306. Gold is trading at $US1141.8 an ounce while oil prices have risen to $US83.5 a barrel.
- No more dole?: Coalition leader, Tony Abbott, has proposed a blanket ban on unemployment benefits for Australians under 30.
- Cop gets booked: A Northern Territory police officer has been sacked after getting caught drink driving in a police car.
- Travel chaos still on: Travel chaos continues to affect Europe despite several airport re-openings.
- Williams’ killer’s details: More information is emerging about the killer of Melbourne gangster, Carl Williams.
- Nation-wide booze ban: England and Wales have instituted their first ever nation-wide booze-ban on Laura Hall.
- Health care agreement: The Prime Minister has reached an agreement with all State and Territory leaders, except Western Australia’s, on a Federal takeover of healthcare.
- Olympics: Former IOC president’s health failing.
- League: WA ‘confident’ it can field an NRL team by 2013
- Athletics: Joel Milburn makes the Commonwealth Games’ team.
- Basketball: Argentinian basketball legend to play in Australia.
- Cricket: Zimbabwe moves to block John Howard’s progression into the ICC
- Tennis: Wimbledon winner to net a million in pounds.
- Michael Douglas labelled an "immature" parent.
- Next James Bond film suspended.
- Iron Man sequel promises plenty of bang
- Tiger Woods parties at Nickelback concert.
- Fire at Paris Hilton's house?
- Model drops rape lawsuit against David Copperfield.
- Sydney: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 17, Max: 26
- Melbourne: Partly cloudy. Min: 17, Max: 28
- Brisbane: Showers. Min: 18, Max: 26
- Perth: Cloudy, chance of a shower. Min: 16, Max: 24
- Adelaide: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 17, Max: 29
- Hobart: Fine. Min: 11, Max: 21
- Canberra: Fine, partly cloudy. Min: 9, Max: 25
- Darwin: Fine, afternoon cloud. Min: 24, Max: 33