Happy Friday, everyone! As we wind down the week, enjoy the best of the day’s news, arranged nice and easily here for your convenience.
- One of those strange but true stories – IBM has a massive prize up for partners – a trip into space with Virgin Galactic.
- Everyone’s enjoying touchscreens at home, but Gartner predicts it’ll take a while longer before there’s real uptake in the office.
- Juniper has acquired Ankeena Networks – a privately held maker of software for optimising media content delivery, for $100 million.
State of the market
- The markets have followed Wall St. and are trending upwards. At 11:46am, the S&P/ASX200 was up 7.3 points.
- The Aussie dollar is very slightly down to $US0.9279. Gold prices have fallen to $US1152 an ounce while oil is trading slightly higher at $US85.7 a barrel.
- It's on: Apple intensifies Google challenge
- Facebook slander: Mother hits back
- Too much: Exorbitant cost for .brand domain names
- Shark snap: Great white hoax
- Immigration clampdown: Processing asylum seeker claims from Sri Lankans and Afghanis suspended
- War on water: Battle to be the last ferry on the harbour
- Matter of metres: Icy standoff over height of Mount Everest
- Health: Hospitals takeover on critical list
- Evolution: Meet Australopithecus Sediba
- Barrier Reef crash: Ship owners say sorry
- Final plea: Corby asks for clemency
- Environment: World's largest reef fish dying mysterious death, wash up on Queensland beaches
- Strange but true: Fishzilla on way to far north Queensland
- US Masters: Woods closes on lead in stunning return, Couples in front
- US Masters (2): Leaderboard - Round 1
- US Masters (3): Tournament home - for all the latest news
- AFL: Ball prepares for Saints game
- AFL (2): Fraser smitten, Jolly usurps ruck role
- Rugby league: Bulldogs extend Moore's tenure
- Rugby league (2): No-name Broncos on the ropes
- Rugby union: Super 15 draw could be as easy as ABC
- Rugby union (2): One more year enough for Palu
- Europa League: Liverpool, Fulham into semi-finals
- A-League: Fowler to join Sydney FC
- Tennis: Hewitt forced to fight in comeback
- RIP: Punk pioneer Malcolm McLaren dead at 64
- Obituary: Sex Pistols creator revelled in svengali role
- It's over: Powderfinger calls it quits
- Secret French business: The French feminine mystique
- Sophie Monk: I hate my breasts
- <i>Gossip Girl</i>Fashion: Co-stars break up because of ... gossip
- Demi Moore: 'I'm finally happy with my body'
- Jodi Gordon: Finds love with Anasta
- Sydney: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 18, Max: 27
- Melbourne: Shower or two. Min: 17, Max: 23
- Brisbane: Shower or two. Min: 19, Max: 30
- Perth: Partly cloudy. Min: 13, Max: 24
- Adelaide: Showers increasingly later. Min: 15, Max: 23
- Hobart: A little late rain. Min: 12, Max: 22
- Canberra: Mostly fine. Min: 11, Max: 19
- Darwin: Afternoon shower/storm. Min: 25, Max: 32
Product Wars: Best 80s Tech
- Results so far...
- 1st - Personal computers - 77%
- 2nd - VHS (with VCR player) - 69%
- 3rd - Brick phones - 64%
- 4th - Video games consoles - 61%
- 5th - Camcorders - 57%
- Click here to vote for your favourite!