Welcome back to those of us who took extra long weekends. Today we present you with a new selection of juicy news chunks.
- Synergy, continuing to grow, has broadened its South Australian reach through the acquisition of C&PA.
- Avnet and ShoreTel have partnered up, giving Avnet a new push into the UC space after it was dropped by Avaya.
- Two Victorian wireless specialists have merged to develop a larger market presence.
State of the market
- The markets are up thanks to energy stocks. At 12:03pm, the S&P/ASX200 was up 12.3 points.
- The Aussie dollar is slightly lower and buys $US0.9271. Gold is very slightly down to $US1135.5 an ounce while oil has fallen a small amount to $US86.8 a barrel.
- Britain votes: British PM, Gordon Brown, calls a May 6 voting date for general elections.
- Naked rescue: A Northern Territory chopper pilot talks about his rescue of naked hikers.
- Deadly floods: Around 100 people dead after torrential flooding in Brazil.
- new Chinese Captain more worried about his food than damaging the Great Barrier Reef.
- Oil prices: Crude oil prices have reached an 18-month high.
- “I had to eat”: Christine Nixon defends her decision to eat out with friends on Black Saturday.
- Killer wombat: A Victorian man feared for his life during a Wombat mauling.
- Warner to slog for Middlesex: Twenty20 batter joins the English club.
- Bunnies scared no more: New coach, new club atmosphere.
- Jets coup: Zadkovich finally joins the team.
- League: Melbourne champion not up to scratch.
- Horses: $1.2 million for Makybe Diva’s foal.
- AFL: Swans coach takes a swipe over timely launch of academy.
- Surfing: Rip Curl Pro moved, but going ahead.
- Jim Carrey and Jenny McCarthy split.
- Ex-Desperate Housewife claims she was assaulted on set.
- OJ murder trial suit goes on display.
- Sandra Bullock says there is no sex tape.
- Plastic Heidi can't jog due to too much surgery.
- Ke$ha dons Zebra costume.
- Sydney: Partly cloudy. Min: 20, Max: 27
- Melbourne: Morning shower or two. Min: 16, Max: 21
- Brisbane: Mostly fine, possible afternoon storm. Min: 19, Max: 31
- Perth: Partly cloudy. Min: 15, Max: 25
- Adelaide: Fine day. Evening shower. Min: 16, Max: 25
- Hobart: Morning shower or two. Min: 14, Max: 21
- Canberra: Mostly sunny. Min: 12, Max: 22
- Darwin: Afternoon shower/storm. Min: 25, Max: 32
Product Wars: Best 80s Tech
- Results so far...
- 1st - VHS (with VCR player) - 82%
- 2nd - Personal computers - 78%
- 3rd - Video games consoles - 63%
- 4th - Camcorders - 58%
- 5th - Brick phones - 57%