It's a dreary day here in the ARN towers in Sydney - but perhaps these fascinating news bits can cheer us (and you) up.
I hope everyone's prepared for tomorrow's April's Fools!
- Avnet has had a busy morning in the press. First up, it has inked a distribution deal with Siemens Enterprise Communications.
- The distributor also acquired Bell Microproducts for $US252 million.
- Finally, Security vendor, Clearswift, has taken on newly founded systems integrator, tru I.S.M, as a top-tier partner.
State of the market
- The markets rose in morning trading before falling sharply. At 11:23am, the S&P/ASX200 was up 0.6 points.
- The Aussie dollar is trading higher at $US0.9201. Gold is down to $US1103.9 an ounce while oil was up $US82.4 a barrel.
- Air crashes: United Airlines plane 90 metres from major disaster.
- Earth not destroyed: The Large Hadron Collider has collided particles at record power without causing a black hole.
- Market rivals?: The Australian Stock Exchange could soon have a rival in Chi-X.
- Murder suspect charged: An 18-year old man has been charged with the murder of Mudgee teenager, Michelle Morrissey.
- Fashion crime: A Darwin restaurant is charging customers extra for wearing thongs.
- Serbia says sorry: Serbia has officially apologised for the Srebrenica massacre that killed almost 8000 people.
- Bank diggers A gang of robbers have dug a tunnel in a Paris banks and robbed it.
- Basketball: Wildcats coach assures match-winner Kevin Lisch will not move
- Australia beat New Zealand at Hamilton this morning by 176 runs
- Rugby league: NRL boss backs Titans' financial viability
- Rugby league (2): Shark's Tim Smith back in the game
- Soccer: Ivica Olic gives Manchester United taste of its own medicine
- AFL: Gold Coast poster only heaps pressure on Gary Ablett: Mark Thompson
- TV Loss: One of the original Playschool presenters, Nehama Patkin, has died, aged 70.
- Ferris’ Ferrari on sale: Own a piece of comedy history.
- 13-year old swearing controversy: Teen heroine from Kick-Ass swearing too much on screen.
- Superman comic sale record: $1.5 million at auction for the original 1938 comic.
- Lady Gaga: Too raunchy for kids?
- Radio loves comedy: Hamish Blake and Andy Lee command almost 25 per cent of the audience.
- Ricki-Lee apologises: ‘Embarrassed’ over being charge for bad driving.
- Sydney: Mostly fine. Min: 18, Max: 23
- Melbourne: Partly cloudy. Min: 13, Max: 23
- Brisbane: Mostly fine. Min: 19, Max: 28
- Perth: Sunny. Min: 15, Max: 29
- Adelaide: Fine. High cloud. Min: 15, Max: 29
- Hobart: Late showers. Min: 11, Max: 21
- Canberra: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 7, Max: 23
- Darwin: Late shower/storm. Min: 26, Max: 34
Product Wars: Best 80s Tech
- Results so far...
- 1st - VHS (with VCR player) - 83%
- 2nd - Personal computers - 82%
- 3rd - Video games consoles - 66%
- 4th - Brick phones - 64%
- 5th - Camcorders - 57%
- Click here to cast your vote.