Thursday comes after Wednesday, and it’s a good day – nearly at the end of the week. A couple of quick news bites, and the weekend will be here sooner than you think.
- The NBN has hit the mainland – digging has started on the first piece of the network – bringing fast Internet to rural Queensland.
- The debate over the R18+ rating for videogames is heating up, with the Industry continuing to throw its weight and research behind the introduction of the rating.
- Ingram Micro has a new marketing director, with former HP marketing manager, Grant Cleary, taking up the role.
State of the market
- After a good day yesterday, the ASX settled back a little on opening. It then wobbled around for the rest of the day. At close of trading it was down 13.0 points to 4654.9.
- The Aussie dollar has dipped back under the magic $US0.90 mark. It currently sits at $US0.8963. Gold is hanging around $US1120 an ounce while oil dipped a bit to $US76.9
- Showing off: Google phone translates German menu
- Back step: Report highlights nanotech retreat
- Scam low: New scams scammed
- Peter Garrett: Who's gonna save him?
- You decide: 'UFO wormhole' opens in sky over Mexico
- State politics: Metro is doomed as start delayed
- Installation debacle: Solar panels put homes at risk of fire, according to Clean Energy Council
- Ian Gray death: Socceroo 'given heroin'
- Riddle of King Tut: DNA unlocks secrets
- Politics: Bal executions bad for Rudd, says embassy
- World: BBC broadcaster arrested over mercy-killing
- Wages: Aid workers earning more than Rudd
- World: Passengers banned from Indian train roofs
- Truckie talks: Abbott needs a kick in bum after highway 'media stunt'
- Strange but true: Toad's leg sausage a recipe for survival in the wild
- Society: Homeless people spend more than $1000/day on drugs, say street workers
- Thanks for the clues: Our dumbest crook leaves trail of evidence
- Secret files: UFO gave man skin condition
Winter Olympic Games 2010
- Mother of all Olympians: Pregnant curler poised to make Olympic history
- Women's downhill: Queen Vonn delivers gold as US go 1-2
- Snowboarding: Cast won't prevent Aussie teen prodigy from competing
- More problems: Ticket scramble as weather makes Olympic venues unsafe
- Embarrassment: Organisers forced to cancel 20,000 more tickets over safety fears on Cypress Mountain
- Women's speed skating: Rookie stands up for herself
- Begg-Smith: Rejects surly bird tag
- Ice hockey: Red sea roars for Canada's hockey stars
- Jacqui Cooper: Veteran clings to her dream of a medal
- Women's luge: Huefner wins second gold for Germany
- Official website Schedule and results
- World Cup Hockey: Troops counter terrorist threats
- Champions League: It's Dreamtime for new T20 star
- AFL: Dumped Lovett wants St Kilda to pay up
- Football: Aloisi left out in the cold
- Formula One: Webber reveals how close he came to quitting F1
- A-League: Fired-up Merrick sure goals will come
- Rugby Union: Force in bind as Staniforth return blocked
- Rugby league (2): Injury blow for Broncos' Yow Yeh
- Rugby league: Foran stays at Brookvale nest
- Tiger tales: Woods to face the public on Friday
- RIP: Pioneering indigenous singer Ruby Hunter dies
- <i>Australian Idol</i>: Rumours fly as key staff jump ship to Australia's Got Talent
- TV ratings: Top Gear zooms all the way to number one
- Lady Gaga: Broke and homeless
- Not fit?: Biggest Loser trainer sued again over diet pills
- No bad blood: For AC/DC's first bassist, rock is hard, feelings aren't
- Safety first?: Uni union says no to risky rockers
- TV: The law of the jungle
- Travel: Qantas flags higher airfares
- Gossip: DiCaprio's girlfriend Rafaeli seen with ring on engagement finger
- Sydney: Shower or two. Min: 19, Max: 25
- Melbourne: Mostly sunny. Min: 16, Max: 29
- Brisbane: Mostly fine. Chance of a shower. Min: 22, Max: 29
- Perth: Cloudy periods. Min: 19, Max: 30
- Adelaide: Dry. High cloud. Min: 23, Max: 37
- Hobart: Fine. Min: 11, Max: 23
- Canberra: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 12, Max: 29
- Darwin: Afternoon shower/storm. Min: 26, Max: 33
Product Wars: Best Tablet Device
- Results so far...
- 1st - Panasonic Toughbook T8 - 89%
- 2nd – Fujitsu Lifebook T5010 - 83%
- =3rd - Lenovo ThinkPad X200 - 77%
- =3rd - Toshiba Portege M750 - 77%
- 5th - Asus Eee PC T90 - 53%
- Click here to vote for your favourite!