Tuesday. Well, yes, it is a an awful day, really. But let's look on the bright side: you get through it and there's only three days to the weekend! To help you survive, check out this news wrap, now updated several times a day. The world is just a link away.
- A government cloud in Australia could be launched within 18 months, according to CSC CTO, Bob Hayward.
- Demand for business intelligence tools will drive the software market in Australia this year, but it will take three years for sales to fully recover to pre-GFC levels, new research claims.
- Motorola has signed on Transition Systems as its wireless networking products distributor.
State of the market
- The markets opened strongly today, buoyed by financial stocks, in particular a better-than-expected first-quarter cash profit return from Westpac.Peaking as high as 50 points up they then slid slowly back in afternoon trading. At 4pm, the S&P/ASX200 was up 22.3 points at 4567.8.
- The Aussie dollar opened slightly up and is selling for $US0.8904. Gold is down 0.41 per cent to $US1090.2 an ounce while oil prices are largely steady at $US74.2 a barrel.
- ChatRoulette: Forget Facebook, this is the Web's new hot spot
- Phones: Five billion people to use mobiles in 2010
- Trapster: New app locates booze buses
- Tech guru: Why the Web has gone sour
- Newspoll: Rudd hits new low
- Insulation scheme: Garrett goes bush as batts keep burning
- Insulation scheme (2): Families line up to sue as Garrett suspends Countrywide
- Business: Westpac profit soars 33 per cent to $1.6bn
- State politics: Labor sets deadline for 13 of its 15 seats
- In the stars: Space station gets room with a view
- Nature freezes: Cold snap killing Florida's coral reefs
- World: Iran becoming a military dictatorship, says Hilary Clinton
- Environment: Lake George almost lives up to its name
- Afghanistan: Rocket put on ice after death of children
- Politics: Conservatism - the new cool?
- Luck's a fortune: $2.5m spring clean
Winter Olympic Games 2010
- Begg-Smith: Iceman's dream turns to slush
- Peter FitzSimons: Opinion - Why Mr Miserable leaves us icy cold
- Men's snowboard: Pullin crashes out while leading
- Men's downhill skiiing: Defago ends 22 years of Swiss pain
- Freestyle cross-country skiing: Cologna claims Switzerland's second gold of the day with emphatic win
- Women's aerials: Lydia Lassila's quest to erase a painful Olympic memory
- Weathering the storms: Organisers watch money wash away
- Luge: Felix Loch leads Germany to a 1-2 finish
- Speed skating: Sablikova holds on to claim speed skating gold
- Official website: Schedule and results
- Allan Border Medal (1): Watson proves his critics wrong
- Allan Border Medal (2): Hayley Bracken steals the show with 'nude' dress
- A-League: Furious Melbourne plan get-square
- A-League: Heart chasing Aloisi
- Cycling: Landis accused of hacking into drug-testing lab
- Cricket: Century adds to Smith's case for Test, T20 spots
- Football: Premier league considering Euro play-offs
- Boxing: Hurricane continues long walk to justice
- Rugby league: Knights relieved after scans clear skipper of knee damage
- Rugby league (2): Fans vote with their remotes
- Racing: All Silent restricted to trackwork but Begg not hitting panic button
- Down and dirty: Twilight's Bella is ditching her wholesome image
- Philippe Jaroussky: A natural high - with no surgical intervention
- Vatican's top 10: Jacko, Oasis, Pink Floyd top of Pope's pops
- Review: Valentine's Day (video)and more
- Celebrity maintenance: How much does it cost
- Megan Fox: Strips down for Armani underwear
- Travel: Brazil's dirtiest party
- Food: Grunge and glamour - Potts Point's best restaurants
- John Mayer: Offered porn gig after controversial interview
Motoring: Ghosts of Lennon and Monroe to haunt Mini
- Sydney: Mostly fine. Sunny periods. Min: 20, Max: 26
- Melbourne: Mostly sunny. Min: 16 Max: 27
- Brisbane: A shower or two. Min: 22, Max: 29
- Perth: Hot, mostly sunny. Min: 18, Max: 36
- Adelaide: Fine. Sunny. Min: 19, Max: 32
- Hobart: Afternoon shower or two. Min: 14, Max: 23
- Canberra: Fine and sunny. Min: 11, Max: 29
- Darwin: Afternoon shower/storm. Min: 26, Max: 33
Product Wars: Best Tablet Device
- Results so far ...
- 1st - Fujitsu LifeBook T5010 - 91%
- 2nd - Panasonic Toughbook T8 - 89%
- =3rd - Lenovo ThinkPad X200 - 77%
- =3rd - Toshiba Portege M750 - 77%
- 5th - Asus Eee PC T90 - 53%
Don't like what you see? Click here to vote for your favourite!