Welcome to Monday. Stodgy dodgy ol' Monday. How was the weekend? Washed away? You certainly were likely to have got a little soggy if lived in NSW and Queensland. Talk about rain. No! Here's a better idea - read about it. Rain, snow, climate change - all in our dose of news, updated several times daily, to ensure you're up to date with the worldwide around you.
- Former AMD country manager and industry veteran, John Robinson, has established a new distribution business.
- ASX-listed integrator, Synergy Plus (ASX: SNR), is anticipating a return to pre-tax profitability in its first-half year.
- Work on the Government’s $250 million Regional Backbone Blackspots program is set to commence in Mt Isa on February 17.
State of the market
- The markets were volatile early, but managed to stay in positive territory throughout the morning. However, it fell away in afternoon trading and was holding just above the break even point at 3.45pm when the S&P/ASX was up 7.92 points at 45422.0.
- The Aussie dollar is down to $US0.8664. Gold is continuing to slide and sells for $US1053.5 an ounce and oil is up 0.62 per cent to $US71.6 a barrel.
- Technology (1): How to get a grip on (almost) everything
- Technology (2): NASA space alliance reviewed
- Technology (3): Uh, Houston, another problem
- The big wet: Heavy rain eases - but not for long
- Climate change (1): Policy backlash takes shine off Rudd
- Climate change (2): Turnbull turns on Abbott
- Climate change (3): Opposition accused of 'selling fear'
- US gas plant blast: At least five dead, 12 injured
- Snowmageddon: How America is battling a real cold war
- World: Palin says Obama must play the ward card
- Strange but true: Space Cowboy sets sword-swallowing record
- Strange but true (2):Watch the record attempt
- Strange but true (3): Fantasy creature just along for bluebottle ride
- Business: Top End food bowl ruled out by Rudd government taskforce
- Money: Swan to resist low-income wage breakout
- Migration u-turn: 'Caught between a rock and a hard place'
- Super Bowl XLIV: Saints make history
- Cricket (1): Pacemen's opening salvos prove Ponting's world best claim is no idle boast
- Cricket (2): Hollow day at home of cricket
- Cricket (3): Old guard falling in behind Clarke
- AFL: Tigers to rest Cousins
- Football: Arsenal lose ground as Drogba double seals Chelsea win
- Tennis: Australia must join Fed Cup elite, says coach
- A-League: Aloisi wins over Sydney FC fans
- Rugby union: England efficient, effective but hardly memorable
- Rugby league: tribute to dad wrings tears from Souths star recruit
- Rugby league (2): Billy Slater injury compounds All Star woes
- Rugby league (3): Manly mates fired up
- Golf: No truth in Tiger's return, says caddie
- Polyphonic Spree: So much material, so many options
- Florence and the Machine: Whipping up a frenzy
- David Byrne: Here Lies Love
- Forever young: Notes from the 2010 AC/DC tour
- Secret life of Hamish: Blake and the international romantic conspiracy
- Angelina Jolie: Quest for power
- <i>Top Gear</i>: James May on fast cars, fast food and ... fashion
- Lifestyle: Jessica Alba's doppelganger distress
- Aussie birds: Two cockatoos and a movie star
- So culture vultures tonight's the night .. In Sydney, there's Tosca at the Sydney Opera House and Black Lips at the Manning Bar, Taylor Swift is at the Newcastle Entertainment Centre (take ear plugs is the tip - the teenies are screaming!), in Hobart, Brooke Greene at the Peacock Theatre, Kiss' Ace Frehley is at The Tivoli in Fortitude Valley, elsewhere it's it's all up to you and your imagination.
- Sydney: Morning shower. Min: 21, Max: 27
- Melbourne: Shower or two developing. Min: 21, Max: 31
- Brisbane: A few showers chiefly morning. Min: 23, Max: 29
- Perth: Sunny. Min: 18, Max: 31
- Adelaide: Humid. Partly cloudy. Min: 22, Max: 36
- Hobart: Showers developing. Min: 16, Max: 22
- Canberra: Chance shower. Min: 17, Max: 31
- Darwin: Afternoon shower/storm. Min: 26, Max: 33
Product Wars: Best Valentine's Day gadget
- Results so far...
- 1: USB Heart - 67%
- 2: Red Apple iPod Nano - 60%
- 3: USB Aromatherapy Oil Burner - 57%
- 4: Addject Kissing Love Tester - 54%
- 5: USB Desktop Photo Frame - 52%
- Click here to cast your vote!