Yes. It's Friday. It's the end of the week, it's time to get ready for the weekend. So get with the program, give work a decent bash today and then you can relax. And while you are stay well-informed by checking out our news wrap, now updated every couple of hours. What's happening in the big wide world is just a link away.
- ASX-listed integrator, Synergy Plus (ASX: SNR), is anticipating a return to pre-tax profitability in its first-half year.
- Fellow ISPs have spent the day congratulating iiNet on its court victory over the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT).
- The Australian National Audit Office (ANAO) has put a $30 million price tag on the first failed National Broadband Network (NBN) tender process, blaming the Department of Broadband, Communications and the Digital Economy Minister, Stephen Conroy, and the global financial crisis.
State of the market
- World markets plunged opening following European debt fears.Wall St has a shocker overnight and Australia followed the trend. At 3.25pm, the S&P/ASX was down 111.4 points at 4510.2.
- The Aussie dollar is selling for $US0.8686. Gold prices have tumbled by 4.32 per cent to $US1064 an ounce and oil is largely steady at $US73.4 a barrel.
- Technology (1): OECD queries cost of new broadband network
- Technology (2): Shovel-ready - network backbone begins
- Technology (3): iPad - wiping the slate clean
- Business: $30bn market wipe out
- Crime: Doctor to face court on murder charge
- Health: Aerobic exercise 'a waste of time' for some
- Model rescue: Kerr joins fight to save busted banker
- World: Missionaries charged with kidnapping children
- Strange but true: Thousands of Australians up for 'nude' airport scanners
- Strange but true (2): Blushing Pluto? Dwarf planet takes on a ruddier hue, says NASA
- Opinion: Pesky kookaburra drops one on the debate over copyright law
- Motoring: Australia's first hybrid car dented by Prius recall
- US media: $17m Katie Couric in firing line as CBS slashes jobs
- Brett Stewart case: 'Don't you know who I am?'
- Greg Bird case: Not guilty of bottle attack
- Cricket (1): Clarke's T20 position under close watch
- Cricket (2): Brutish Gayle routs Prime Minister's XI with sizzling ton
- Cricket (3): Howard qualified to be ICC president, says Speed
- AFL: Geelong's Stokes fights for his career
- AFL (2): Judd's NAB Cup blitz
- AFL (3): Sheedy puts young foot soldiers through paces
- Rugby union: George Smith quits Wallabies
- Rugby union (2): Beale can play but case lingers
- Rugby league: Bird blocked from Indigenous All-Stars
- Rugby league (2): Mason joins mates at Cowboys
- Rugby league (3): Broncos face sack if they abuse Stilnox
- Rugby league (4): Tweeting Tuqiri tells gallop the reason sacked him; joins Wests
- Gossip: A mishmash of contradictions
- Naked glory: Whooping, clapping and stripping triumphantly
- Hugo Weaving: Some kind of monster
- Brittany Murphy: Killed by pneumonia, anaemia and prescription drugs, says coroner
- DiCaprio and Scorsese: Mental patience on Shutter Island
- John Travolta: Bald move
- Ashton Kutcher: Loves to hate Demi Moore
- Lifestyle: Getting nude is looking good
- Travel: The future is ... giant luxury airships (slideshow)
- Chinese New Year: Release the Tiger - celebrations start next week
- Claws out: Aussie Cougar hunt
- Gossip in Sydney tonight; Kiss' Ace Frehley at The Palace in Melbourne, Marianne Faithfull at The Forum, and the FREE Summer Music Festival stretching over the whole weekend at Docklands; in Perth there's the fabulous Laneway Festival 2010 featuring Echo and The Bunnymen, Florence and The Machine, Black Lips, The XX, Sarah Blasko and many more; In Adelaide, check out a Day On The Green at Leconfield Wines where Rob Thomas and Vanessa Amorosi headline; in Brisbane and Canberra, well, errr, look there's not a lot happening to be honest, so eat,drink, be merry. In Darwin, the barra are biting - what more do you want!
- Sydney: A few showers. Chance thunderstorm. Min: 27, Max: 29
- Melbourne: Early shower or two. Min: 15, Max: 26
- Brisbane: Showers, rain at times. Min: 23, Max: 28
- Perth: Possible late evening shower. Min: 18, Max: 24
- Adelaide: Fine. Sunny. Min: 14, Max: 29
- Hobart: Fine. Min: 11, Max: 20
- Canberra: Showers easing. Min: 16, Max: 25
- Darwin: Afternoon shower/storm. Min: 25, Max: 33
Product Wars: Best Valentine's Day gadget
- Results so far...
- 1: USB Heart - 67%
- 2: Red Apple iPod Nano - 60%
- 3: USB Aromatherapy Oil Burner - 59%
- 4: Addject Kissing Love Tester - 54%
- 5: USB Desktop Photo Frame - 52%
- Click here to cast your vote!