Whoo hoo. It's Thursday. The finishing line is in sight. So there's every reason to fly through the day with a smile on the dial. And stay well-informed by checking out our news wrap, now updated every couple of hours. What's happening in the big wide world is just a link away.
- The Federal Court has ruled in favour of iiNet in a copyright case launched by the Australian Federation Against Copyright Theft (AFACT) that has captured worldwide attention.
- Tandberg Data has revealed plans to revamp its global partner program.
- Unified communications vendor, Polycom, will launch its first comprehensive partner program in Australia on July 1.
State of the market
- The markets dropped sharply in morning trading following negative US leads. They staged a late rally to lift off a plus 40 point low. At close of trading the S&P/ASX200 was down 26.3 points at 4621.6.
- The Aussie dollar is tracking lower and selling for $US0.8806. Gold is down half a per cent to $US1112.4 an ounce while oil prices have fallen very slightly to $US77 a barrel.
- Technology (1): Google's Chrome chomps into browser market
- Technology (2): Australia Post accused of using computers to spy on workers
- Technology (3): Webcam saves man lost at night on sea ice
- Economy: Retail sales in surprise fall
- Foreign policy: Shipment to Iran blocked to prevent nuclear proliferation, Rudd says
- Copyright ruling: Court finds Men At Work's Down Under ripped off Kookaburra
- Climate change: Coalition plan 'to lift carbon output 13 per cent'
- Climate change (2): Hot air will fill election year
- Climate change (3): Coalition makes sceptics of us all
- V-word: A virgin slips Branson's grasp in a bad day for grammar
- Foreign affairs: India orders back High Commissioner
- Golf: Watson tells Tiger ' clean up your act'
- Cricket (1): Siddle the next victim of lingering Ashes curse
- Cricket (2): Waugh says White must be T20 captain
- AFL: Geelong's Stokes threatened with life ban
- AFl (2): AFL boast takes a blow
- FA Cup: Defoe hat-trick ends Leed's FA Cup run as Spurs win 3-1
- Football: Injury hit Socceroos limp towards finals
- Tennis: Tomic, Ball fight for berth
- Rugby union: Quade to make most of his second chance
- Racing: Sydney trainer in coma
- Rugby league: Stewart fronts up to face sex assault charges
- Rugby league (2): Cowboys in box seat to sign Mason
- Rugby league (3): Rogers' future hangs in balance
- Gambling: Tabcorp profit dips, cautious outlook
- The fear fades: Legal downloads make sweet music for industry
- Julianna Margulies: A woman of substance
- John Waters: ... is seriously weird
- <i>We Are The World</i> again: Stars gather to cover charity Haiti song
- Television: Kyle Sandilands returns - this time on Seven
- Luke Doolan: Sleepless in LA, and then the Oscars call-up
- Lifestyle: Getting nude is looking good
- Upset: Peter Andre breaks down during live TV interview
- Celebrity: Jesus dumps Madonna
- Late night shopping, a nice bite out and about, maybe a quick drink or two if it's been a tough day. Sounds good.
- Sydney: Showers/thunderstorms. Min: 22, Max: 27
- Melbourne: Rain then shower or two. Min: 20, Max: 21
- Brisbane: Mostly fine. Min: 22, Max: 31
- Perth: Mostly sunny. Min: 17, Max: 34
- Adelaide: Fine, mild and partly cloudy. Min: 17, Max: 24
- Hobart: Fine. Min: 11, Max: 20
- Canberra: Showers easing. Min: 16, Max: 25
- Darwin: Afternoon shower/storm. Min: 25, Max: 32
Product Wars: Best Valentine's Day gadget
- Results so far...
- 1: USB Heart - 69%
- 2: Red Apple iPod Nano - 63%
- 3: USB Aromatherapy Oil Burner - 61%
- 4: Addject Kissing Love Tester - 56%
- 5: USB Desktop Photo Frame - 54%
- Click here to cast your vote!