It's Hump Day. Of course, that's not official. Some people insist on call it Wednesday. Honestly, so old-fashioned. You can get over any humps in your day by checking out our news wrap, now updated every couple of hours. What's happening in the big wide world is just a link away.
- Dell has brought on Simms International as its first distributor in the New Zealand market but has denied it will make a similar appointment in Australia in the short-term.
- ASX-listed ISP, TPG Telecom (ASX:TPM), is looking to raise $70 million in capital to reduce the company’s debt as a prelude to its acquisition of Pipe Networks.
- Cisco’s acquisition of video-conferencing player, Tandberg, will not guarantee its partners access to the vendor’s communications product range.
State of the market
- The markets have risen in early trading thanks to strong leads on Wall St. It then held from for the remainder of the day rising marginally in the afternoon. At the close of trading, the S&P/ASX200 was up 42.6 points at 4647.9.
- The Aussie dollar has fallen marginally despite yesterday’s surprise lack of rate rise. It sells for $US0.8871. Gold is trading higher at $US1118.2 an ounce while oil sells for $US76.9 a barrel.
- 'Trolley blast': Explosives wheeled into Darwin shopping centre
- TV nude shock: Macquarie Bank's asset stripper
- Technology (1): Average Joe makes real tweet of premier
- Technology (2): YouTube coup in a dirty war
- Technology (3): Device means humans could soon walk on walls
- Technology (4): Carry on with this revolution, Julia
- Taxing times: Net closes on Hogan over charges
- Strange but true: NZ teenager auctions off her virginity for $36,000
- Politics: Abbott pumped up for title fight
- Climate change: Abbott's cut-through plan
- Business: News Corp swings back into profit
- Workplace relations: Union leader claims 'dinosaur' employers out of touch
- Cricket (1): MCG on high alert for pitch invaders
- Cricket (2): Pink balls arrive to cool reception
- Tennis: Hewitt hits top 20 as Nadal slides
- Football: Terry's woes grow as Chelsea is held by Hull
- FA Cup: Notts County upset Wigan and Palace beat Wolves
- Winter Olympics: Teen bolsters Games push
- Swimming: Nugent tempted to take on top rule
- Rugby union: Defector Barnes in line for hot reception
- Rugby union 92): Changes put Super 14 on the attack
- Rugby league: Tahu is the Eel of steel
- Rugby league (2): New Bronco a bit of Wanka
- Cycling tips: Engage with the traffic
- Oscar nominations (1): Avatar, The Hurt Locker lead the way with nine each
- Oscar nominations (2): All about Sandra
- Oscar nominations (3): Full list
- Art: Chip off the old block makes shortlist
- Razzie Awards: Transformer tops nominations
- Julianne Moore: Lust for life
- <i>Edge Of Darkness</i>: Reviewed
- Fashion: From Chanel to H&M, Mrs O will give us a glimpse of fashion democracy
- Travel: Paradises on earth
- Books: Aussies in running for 'lost' Booker Prize
- Sydneysiders should check out Marianne Faithfull at the Opera House - an old stager who's become fabulous interpreter of songs and a genuine entertainer.
- Sydney: Shower, chance thunderstorms. Min: 21, Max: 25
- Melbourne: A little rain later. Min: 24, Max: 31
- Brisbane: Shower or two. Min: 21, Max: 29
- Perth: Sunny. Min: 14, Max: 29
- Adelaide: Shower or two. Afternoon change. Min: 22, Max: 30
- Hobart: Rain clearing. Min: 15, Max: 20
- Canberra: Rain periods. Chance thunderstorm. Min: 18, Max: 25
- Darwin: Afternoon storm inland. Min: 26, Max: 32
Product Wars: Best Valentine's Day gadget
- Results so far...
- 1: USB Heart - 69%
- 2: Red Apple iPod Nano - 63%
- 3: USB Aromatherapy Oil Burner - 61%
- 4: Addject Kissing Love Tester - 56%
- 5: USB Desktop Photo Frame - 54%
- Click here to cast your vote!