How are the Christmas preparations coming along? Panicking? Don’t worry – you’re not the only one. Perhaps something in today’s Lunch Box will inspire you...
- Following the Government’s announcements around the national filter, organisations are looking to take advantage of the business opportunities opened up. Watchdog’s cloud-based filter for smaller ISPs is one example.
- Meanwhile, Emerging IT has taken out Kaseya’s MSP of the year award.
- Finally, <i>ARN</i> spoke to Nnooo founder, Nic Watt, about the difficulties in setting up an ISV, and gleans a couple of insights into the gaming industry.
State of the market
- The market plunged following a weak Wall St overnight. At 11.40am, the S&P/ASX200 was down 57.2 points at 4613.1.
- The Aussie dollar was down 1.51 per cent at $US0.8865. Gold prices plunged $US29.00 losing recent gains to sit at $US1107.2 an ounce while oil prices fell $US1.29 to reach US71.4 a barrel.
- Public transport: NSW bus drivers go on strike, 600,000 commuters affected
- Workplace: Let it ring - don't let work spoil your break
- Flying high: Christmas cheer for BA passengers
- Copenhagen climate talks: Rudd vows to work through night to seal deal
- Copenhagen climate talks (2): 'Three degrees' shock - leaked document exposes huge gap between rhetoric and climate science.
- Australia's richest areas: Where the money is living
- Crime: Drug gangs allowed to buy Gold Coast nightclubs
- Education: Gillard calls for school honesty
- Politics: Abbott, Nationals at war on emissions
- Tiger saga: Phelps expresses sympathy
- Tiger saga (2): Woods' wife 'hires top gun'
- Telstra: Revenue forecast downgraded
- Sale time: Early Christmas for bargain hunters
- Line in the sand: Rio's beach ball crack down
- 3rd Test: Benn blows fuse before Gayle erupts
- 3rd Test (2): Nobody's safe within 110m as Skipper hits century off 70 balls
- 3rd Test (3): Conduct unbecoming to all
- Sydney to Hobart yacht race: A British forces invasion
- NRL: Knights Coke deal on hold
- NRL (2): The $2 million man speaks out
- Boxing: Mundine's leaner not meaner, says challenger
- Tennis: Hewitt and Stosur can serve up Hopman Cup
- A-League: Age won't hinder Oar's national aspirations
- SAG snub: Oscar hopes diminish further for Cornish
- Travel: Beware girls in bars
- Malcolm McLaren: A life in thrall to the banal
- Single again: Witherspoon and Gyllenhall split
- Most intriguing of 2009: People names Taylor Swift
- Time to party: All dressed up and nowhere to go on New Year's Eve
- Let's cringe: Dad dancing was designed to repel
- Food: Stuffing and trussing a turkey (video)
For the weekend:
- It’s getting remarkably close to Christmas now – last minute shopping is on! But take a moment away to get into the real spirit of Christmas. Every year there are some simply spectacular displays that people put out on their houses – and sometimes, if you’re lucky, you’ll come across a whole street that is completely decorated.
This weekend we challenge you to go and find a street such as that, and bask in the warm glow of Christmas.
- Sydney: Chance late shower. Min: 19, Max: 25
- Melbourne: Morning shower or two. Min: 14, Max: 22
- Brisbane: Showers and a storm. Min: 22, Max: 31
- Perth: Risk of a thunderstorm. Min: 19, Max: 34
- Adelaide: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 14, Max: 26
- Hobart: Becoming fine. Min: 10, Max: 18
- Canberra: Mostly sunny. Min: 11, Max: 29
- Darwin: Showers, afternoon storm. Min: 24, Max: 31
Product Wars: Best IT invention
- Results so far...
- 1st - Google - 76%
- 2nd - Netspace - 64%
- =3rd - Apple iPods - 59%
- =3rd - Nintendo Gameboy - 59%
- 5th - Apple iPhone - 58%
- Click here to vote for your favourite.