It’s summer time! But, since you’re in the office, pass the time until the weekend and the beach with some refreshing news pieces.
- It's all about the Realising Our Broadband Future conference and the NBN. NBNco's Mike Quigley backs a fibre-based network, not wireless
- The PM is hard-selling the NBN's green credentials.
- And we've got highlights of the conference in our slideshow, here.
State of the market
- The markets opened up after Wall St rose overnight then held on to the gains without showing any sign of further growth. At close of trading, the S&P/ASX200 was up 28.5 points at 4635.2
- The Aussie dollar was up 0.84 per cent at $US0.9161. Gold prices ended a four-day slump with a small rise of $US5.50 to sit at $US1126.4 an ounce while oil prices continued to fall losing $US0.67 to reach US70.0 a barrel.
- Branson umasked: What is the ultimate adventure capitalist really like?
- Economy: CEOs warn on jobs squeeze
- Tiger saga:Elin to 'stick with Woods for children's sake'
- UFO: Strange lights appear over Norwegian military base (video)
- Copenhagen climate talks: de Boer calls for Kyoto Protocol extension
- Health insurance: Private fees tipped for $200 rise
- Times Square shooting: 'Is this real or is it a movie?
- Health: GPs paid $500 to help close indigenous treatment gap
- Nobel Prize: Obama praises peace activists
- Business: China policy changes lead to rising prices
- Extortion bid: Man tried to blackmail wine patriach for $5.5m, court told
- Environmental protection: Garrett puts Tarkine rainforest on heritage list
- Environment mutation?: Fear pesticides led to double-headed fish
- Science: Hubble brings big bang closer
- Cricket: Clark sees hope of recall dashed
- Cricket (2): Sonic youth
- Golf: Unheralded Korean outshines stars at PGA
- Gender bender: Where it all began for Caster Semenya
- NRL (2): Taylor volunteers to help Roosters
- Racing: Victorian horses brought in line with NSW form
- World Cup bid: Who pays for stadium upgrade?
- Boxing: Trainer exults as Darchinyan beefs the brain power
- Sydney to Hobart yacht race: Extra Oats means longer, lighter and louder
- <i>Avatar</i>: War on terror backdrop to Cameron's film
- Anti Gaga: Designer says singer's music is meaningless
- No joke: Bruno's 'terrorist' interview could set him back $121m
- Gaming: No Doubt in tit-for-tat lawsuit battle
- Travel: The land of water
- Media: Fairfax pulls out of media survey
- Flight: Jetstar ramps up discount war
- Outdoor films: It's open season
- Animal Collective: Wary of the hyperbole
For the weekend:
- You can't put it off any longer! Christmas is almost here. Get out there and get that Christmas present shopping done. And buy some good food and drink too. After all it is the season to be merry. Of course, some good rock doesn't hurt either. Green Day are at Acer Arena in Sydney on Friday and Saturday night so why not warm up with some blasts from their live show at their website.
- Sydney: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 17, Max: 25
- Melbourne: Cloudy periods. Isolated showers during the day. Min: 12, Max: 23
- Brisbane: Shower or two, possible storm. Min 22, Max: 29
- Perth: Very hot. Sunny. Min: 20, Max: 37
- Adelaide: Fine. Partly cloudy. Min: 14, Max: 25
- Hobart: Mainly fine. Min: 10, Max: 19
- Canberra: Mostly sunny. Min: 7, Max: 28
- Darwin: Showers and storms. Min: 25, Max: 31
Product Wars: Best IT invention Results so far... 1st - Google - 75% 2nd - Netspace - 63% =3rd - Apple iPhone - 58% =3rd - Apple iPods - 58% =3rd - Nintendo Gameboy - 58%
Click here to vote for your favourite!