It’s summer time! But, since you’re in the office, pass the time until the weekend and the beach with some refreshing news pieces.
- Telstra continues to voice disapproval for its forced separation.
- Clever Communications has scored a $1.5 million broadband contract to provide fixed wireless broadband services over its national network.
- Finally, Senator Stephen Conroy has made the call for the public to participate in the upcoming Realising Our Broadband Future forum through an online portal.
State of the market
- The markets edged higher in early trading on the back of share gains by BHP Biliton and real estate companies. However by midday they were on the slide. At 1.55pm, the S&P/ASX200 was down 16.9 points.
- The Aussie dollar was up fractionally at $US0.9158. Gold prices continue to fall losing another $US5.50 to sit at $US1164.0 an ounce while oil prices also fell significantly losing $US1.67 to a reach US73.8 a barrel.
- Economy: Business confidence climbs to seven-year high
- Team Tony: Abbott goes back to the future with new front bench
- Copenhagen climate talks: Danish PM talks up climate deal chances
- Copenhagen climate talks (2):Climate science 'systematic, thorough'
- Song downloads: Student fined a fortune must destroy files
- Tiger's porn mistress: Image in free fall
- Politics: Liberals steer to the right on boats
- Unions: At war over ACTU leadership
- Health reform: Patience wears thin
- Technology: How Australia's top scientist earned millions from Wi-FI
- Living on the brink: Britons unhappy and lonely, study finds
- Viagra-like: Why the cure for flagging female libido is hard to swallow
- Balibo 5: 'Executed, bodies burnt'
- Heating up: 'Catastrophic' fire weather moves through NSW
- Cheapest fuel: Thursdays not Tuesdays
- 2nd Test: Gayle blows critics away
- 2nd Test (2): Attack berated as Bollinger cited for dissent
- Cricket: Injuries to quicks see clouds form over the summer
- Swimming: Perkins and Talbot stunned and saddened by claims against Buck
- Golf: Battle's on as big names hit form
- Surfing: Sunset rip primes Parkinson for Pipe
- Surfing (2):Contest postponed - the big waves are too small
- Rugby league: QRL to delay establishment of commission by year
- Rugby union: Cooper's memory blank before alleged break in
- Collaboration: 50 Cent wants Susan Boyle
- Kennedy Centre Honors: America recognises its brightest stars
- Kennedy Centre Honors (2): Obama on Bruce Springsteen ... 'He's the boss'
- Naked Harry: Radcliffe to strip - twice - in next Potter movie
- You beauty: Jessica Biel's tips for dating men
- Food: Feast with a conscience
- Micallef: Evil and wrong
- Road test: Subaru's new Outback
For the evening:
- Channel 9 has a good TV line-up tonight. Starting with Survivor (always good for a laugh), it follows on to the excellent Mr & Mrs Smith (although you can switch to Channel 7 and The Amazing Race if you’re getting bored), and then with the even-better Secret Diary of a Call Girl.
- Sydney: Chance early shower. Min: 19, Max: 24
- Melbourne: Cloudy. Min: 11, Max: 23
- Brisbane: Fine. Min: 23, Max: 35
- Perth: Mostly sunny. Min: 13, Max: 29
- Adelaide: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 12, Max: 22
- Hobart: A few showers. Min: 9, Max: 19
- Canberra: Mostly sunny. Min: 10, Max: 28
- Darwin: Afternoon gusty storm. Min: 26, Max: 34
Product Wars: Best IT invention Results so far... 1st - Google - 75% 2nd - Netspace - 63% 3rd - Apple iPhone - 60% =4th - Apple iPods - 58% =4th - Nintendo Gameboy - 58%
To cast your vote, click here.