It’s lunch time!
The morning’s over and you need that little boost to energise you through the rest of the day. That’s where the lunch box comes in – interesting news, ideas for the evening and the all-important weather, in one neat package.
- The big news today is what’s going on over at Telstra, and how people are responding. See what the analysts think here
- October is D-day for Nortel. What will happen from there, no one knows yet
- Finally, rugged computing got a new player in the local market, with AvanTEC to offer Handheld to vertical markets
State of the market
- The markets rose sharply in morning trading following revelations from US Federal Reserve chairman, Ben Bernanke, that America’s recession is probably over. It continued to perform strongly for the rest of the day. At 4pm, the S&P/ASX200 was up 110.6 points to 4650.9.
- The Aussie dollar is up against the greenback to $US0.8650. Gold has risen to $US1006.3 an ounce while oil is up to $US70.9 a barrel
- It's over: US Federal Reserve chief calls end of US recession
- Terrorism: Afghan foreigner kidnap order by al-Qaida leader Mustafa Hamid
- 51% pay rise: Tough times, but $12m BHP chief doesn't know it
- IQ2 debate: Do we need more immigration?
- Google: Chrome browser for Macs coming
- Facebook: Finally passes profit milestone
- Cut up: Telstra phone and Net services lost after cables chopped in Sydney city
- Publishing: Murdoch sees pick-up in ad markets
- Crowded house: Raid finds 37 people in single Brisbane residence
- Website closes: Macquarie shuts down Livenews
- Cricket: Ponting smashes Poms as Aussies make it 5-0 in ODIs
- Cricket: Hughes takes short way about rebuilding his career
- NRL: Henjak applies his blowtorch to Dragons
- NRL (2):Finals run sparks $1m Eels windfall
- Brain snaps: Check out the Top 10
- AFL: Minson holds key to Dogs chances
- AFL (2): Malthouse is kidding himself, says Thompson
- Football: English clubs make Champions League winning start
- A-League: Western Sydney will round out the dozen
- MTV Video Awards fall-out: Obama calls Kanye West a 'jackass'
- And then ...: ABC News apologises after tweeting Obama's comment in off-record conversation
- Blaster chef: Who boiled over at Good Food Guide awards after party
- Sandilands file: Kyle cops a ratings beating
- Guitar Hero 5: Latest incarnation reviewed
- Travel: A sting in the tail with latest Tiger flight
- Gossip: Brown uses Twitter to woo back Rinanna
- Beyonce live: Jumps time zones and hits Melbourne in time for stunning show
For the evening:
- We hope everyone is logged in and buying up streets and properties in the largest, global, game of Monopoly ever. Real estate in the cities is becoming limited, so our pro-tip is this: Go rural. Owning a random street in a random country town might not sound as much fun as the centre of Sydney, but at least it brings you into the game so you can begin plotting revenge on the person who bought up your home street.
- Sydney: Chance of late shower. Min: 15, Max: 28
- Melbourne: A little rain. Min: 14, Max: 19
- Brisbane: Fine. Min: 13, Max: 27
- Perth: Shower or two. Min: 11, Max: 19
- Adelaide: Rain clearing early. Min: 14, Max: 20
- Hobart: Rain easing later. Min: 11, Max: 17
- Canberra: Afternoon showers developing. Min: 8, Max: 22
- Darwin: Fine, mostly sunny. Min: 24, Max: 34