- What’s for lunch today?
Snack down on some juicy news bits over lunch, and keep up to date with the goings-on in the world with the ARN lunch box!
- Apple resellers are reporting strong consumer demand for the new Snow Leopard operating system, but enterprise users are less enthusiastic.
- Security vendor, Marshal8e6, has changed its name globally to M86 less than twelve months after Marshal and 8e6 merged into one entity.
- Australia’s fastest 4G wireless broadband Internet won’t be based in Sydney or Melbourne, but in Perth with the WA capital getting WiMAX thanks to a company run by Kerry Stokes’ son, Ryan Stokes..
State of the market
- The markets rose strongly in early morning trading, but steadied after 30 minutes. At 11:40am, the S&P/ASX200 was up 30.2 points.
- The Aussie dollar is trading lower than yesterday’s close and buys $US0.8386. Gold has rocketed up and is approaching the thousand dollar mark thanks to a lack of market confidence in the US and is selling for $997.7 an ounce. Oil prices remain steady at $68 a barrel.
- Scientific breakthough: Antibody find lifts HIV vaccine hopes
- Homeland scheme: Tim Costello homes in on new world vision
- Howard's decision: Government took no advice before joining Iraq war
- Sydney slaying: Developer feared 'hit' in front of son
- Horror in hospital: Elderly patient left on bedpan for days
- Carbon trading scandal: Australian firm tied in
- WA premier's claim: Relations with China bungled
- The real thing: Dismembered frog in Pepsi can
- Star flaws: Cosmic cannibals and massive black holes
- US Open tennis: Seeds tumble as Dementieva and Jankovic tossed out
- US Open tennis (2): Rodionova storms in third round
- AFL finals: Desperate Dons rely on rookie
- AFL finals (2): Voss banks on Merrett return
- NRL: History points to Bennett flop
- NRL (2): Toe puts Hindmarsh out of the action
- Rugby Union:Springboks wary of Barnes factor
- Cricket: Coach and captain abandon one-day ship
- Football: Chelsea to appeal FIFA transfer ban to 2011
- Football - A League: Jets steal a point against Victory
- Celebrity MasterChef: Contestants named
- Cut back: Channel Nine stars' salaries to be slashed
- Backstage: Behind Pink's Funhouse tour (gallery)
- Thom Yorke: New songs in late September
- Rusty ride: On yer bike with Crowe
- This monkey's gone to heaven: Pixies announce 'Doolittle' tour for March 2010
- <i>She Wolf</i>: The return of Shakira
- Maybe, maybe not: Best and worst movie rumours of the week
- Not so Jolie: Angelina explodes over Pitt's alleged boozing and drug taking
For the weekend:
- If you’ve ever been interested in film, television or radio, the Australian Film Television and Radio School (AFTRS) is having an free open weekend for one and all.
- Sydney: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 11 Max: 20
- Melbourne: Shower or two clearing. Min: 8, Max: 16
- Brisbane: Thundery rain clearing, afternoon shower. Min: 16, Max: 26
- Perth: Few showers. Min: 9, Max: 16
- Adelaide: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 10, Max: 18
- Hobart: Mainly fine. Min: 5, Max: 13
- Canberra: Fine, sunny. Min: 3, Max: 15
- Darwin: Fine, mostly sunny. Min: 23, Max: 33