The end of another week
Snack down on some juicy news bits over lunch, and keep up to date with the goings-on in the world with the ARN lunch box!
- The NBN board has been announced
- In a bit of bad news at the end of the week, Abacus computers appears to be shut down
- Fujitsu have picked up some ex-Kaz talent in Mike Foster
State of the market
- The marke tsank in morning trading after bad results from Wall St. At one point in trading it was down as much as 60 points but rallied late in the day to end only 26.9 points down at 4299.4.
- The Aussie dollar buys $US0.8397 and gold is trading down at $US962.9 an ounce. Oil is remaining fairly steady at $US71.9 a barrel.
- Unions do battle: Bitter turf war in Pilbara
- What a blunder: Secret list of bikie club members sent to rival gang
- Social networks attacked: Facebook and Twitter hacked
- Pay to view: News Corp. plans fees for news websites
- Shareholders upset: Director's wife on big Mac fee feed
- Marysville: From the ashes (video)
- Time line: 12:34:56, 7/8/9
- The Ashes: Don't take the risk with Lee
- The Ashes (2): Flintoff banned from the needle
- Mickey O: Roos does a number of Magic's 300 show
- Jessie Owens: One long jump for man, one giant leap for mankind
- NRL: Manly wants Watmough long-term
- Football: Mariners stun Victory
- AFL: All the latest ahead of the weekend's big games
- Director passes: John Hughes dead at 59
- No Funhouse now: Promoters at odds over Pink tour
- Australian Idol: McFadden now the hot tip for Kyle's spot
- Radio wars: Rivals poke fun at Sandilands and Jackie O
- Bertie Blackman: From Sabbath to Sculthorpe, she absorbs it all
- Glory daze: Mike Tyson - cultural hit at Cannes
- Beautiful Kate: It's a must-see
- Sneak peek: Trailers for The Fantastic Mr Fox and the new Coen Brothers film (video)
- Falls Festival 2009: Line-up leaked - so here it is!
For the weekend:
- Anyone who hasn’t read Nick Cave’s Australian literary classic “And the Ass saw the Angel” really should, it’s brilliant. Those of us who have will no doubt be rushing to the nearest bookstore to pick up The Death of Bunny Munro tomorrow.
- Get out the bean bags, stack up on comfort food, pick up some eye drops and settle in for a couple of all-nighters as Rage (ABC TV) counts dow Triple J's controversial Hottest 100 of all-time. It starts at 12.25am on Saturday morning with 100 to 51, followed by the top 50 from 11.45pm on Saturday night.
- Usually we try to recommend good ways to spend your weekend here, but for a change we’ll suggest you don’t go and see the new G.I Joe. You only get two days in a weekend – wasting 2 hours out of that 48 would surely hurt.
- Sydney: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 9, Max: 17
- Melbourne: Partly cloudy. Min: 5, Max: 16
- Brisbane: Dry, brisk winds. Min: 9, Max: 22
- Perth: Shower or two, increasing later. Min: 11, Max: 21
- Adelaide: Fine. Mostly sunny. Min: 6, Max: 16
- Hobart: Late shower. Min: 4, Max: 14
- Canberra: Fine, morning frost. Min: -2, Max: 13
- Darwin: Fine and sunny. Min: 19, Max: 32