Having a busy day? Browsing the Web for news over lunch? Welcome to the ARN Lunch Box!
Each day we will pull together the latest news from all over the Internet for your convenience. Sport, entertainment and weather will join a summary of the key channel stories for the day, saving you from dredging through link after link, searching for the interesting bits.
Looking for the evening’s entertainment after work? We’ve got that covered too, with a recommendation for what is hot and happening.
We hope you find ARN’s new feature useful in making the most of those precious few moments when you can sit, relax, and read up on what's going on in our world and enjoy the lighter side of life.
Goings on in the channel
- Tegatech has branched from its traditional UMPC space with an expanded Ruvo relationship to cover desktop PCs.
- Retail continues to do brisk business for Synnex, with the distributor opting to bring a new GPS vendor into the market.
- Alloys, meanwhile, has entered an interesting space with a garment printer vendor, DTG Digital. Niche, but a nice play, the distributor claims.
State of the market
- After recovering from a poor start yesterday, to scrape in with a slightly positive result, the ASX has decided to head south again, down 17.8 points early in trading. However, it recovered most of the losses by 3pm when it was down 1.2 points.
- The dollar is sitting at $US0.7790, Gold is trading at $US909.30, and crude oil is selling at $US61.00.
- Unemployment: Workers accept big pay cuts to keep jobs
- Not a twit: Murdoch says News Ltd won't buy Twitter
- The Jackson saga: Reports claim body "riddled" with needle marks
- US under cyber attack: Government websites targeted
- Banning the bottle: World drinks up Bundanoon's water ban
- Big bang: Massive supernova discovered
- The Ashes - Ist Test: Even opening day sees England 7 for 336 at stumps
- Tour De France:Cancellara still leads by nothing from Armstrong
- The Barry Hall files: Eade says Dogs don't want him
- World record swim: Piersol reclaims 100m backstroke record
- Lisa Mitchell: Tour dates announced
- Sarah Blasko: Check out her superb new album
- Potter mania: Critics love Harry the rom-com
- MasterChef: Now they're carving up Chris
For this evening: In the mood for music? Moby’s new album, Wait For Me scores 3 ½ stars with Rolling Stone.
- Sydney: Shower or two. Min: 10, Max:17
- Melbourne: Windy. A little rain later. Min: 7, Max:15
- Brisbane: Mostly fine. Min: 12, Max: 20
- Perth: Few showers. Min:10, Max:18
- Adelaide: Rain developing. Min: 9, Max: 16
- Hobart: Fine. Min: 03, Max:13
- Canberra: Fine, partly cloudy. Min: 3, Max 13
- Darwin: Fine and sunny. Min: 18, Max: 31