ECM Market to Reach $9B in Software and Services by 2007, Says META Group
- 07 January, 2004 12:05
<p>ECM Market to Reach $9B in Software and Services by 2007, Says META Group
New Enterprise Content Management (ECM) Tools Evaluation Report Released Today</p>
<p>SYDNEY, Australia. (January 7, 2004) — META Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: METG) today announced the availability of its newest METAspectrumSM In Depth report, covering the enterprise content management (ECM) tools market. This market comprises vendors supplying software that focuses primarily on the capture, storage, retrieval, and dissemination of digital content for enterprise use and life-cycle management. The ECM market will reach $2.3B in software and $7B in services by 2007, representing a compound annual growth rate of 15%.
“Although this is a growing market, vendors will continue to consolidate through 2005,” said Charlie Brett, senior program director with META Group’s Technology Research Services and lead author of the report. “By 2006, approximately 60% of Global 2000 organisations will standardise on a strategic ECM framework, though many will maintain existing investments in tactical or line-of-business (LOB) content deployments.”
ECM systems are generally tactical and non-discretionary expenditures, but they are increasingly becoming strategic core investments. With organisations seeking more strategic enterprise content solutions, the ability of ECM software to fully manage all enterprise content
and avoid costs by consistently applying proper compliance and legal risk policies/procedures is emerging as critical to G2000 organisations.
“Gaps among vendor products are beginning to diminish and acquisitions designed to help achieve relative technology parity are increasing,” added Andrew Warzecha, META Group’s Content & Collaboration Strategies service director. “Support for previously ‘non-traditional’ content types — including e-mail, digital asset management, and records management — is now viewed as becoming integral to ECM.”
Key Findings and Guidance
The Enterprise Content Management Tools report evaluates 14 vendors in this market. During the preparation of this METAspectrum, several major acquisitions were announced. This report contains evaluations and ratings based on individual vendors, and does not reflect any implications of such recent acquisitions. Future revisions of this evaluation will consider mergers and acquisitions once they are approved and finalised. The analysis found:
• Leaders possess global presence, significant installed bases, full technology components, deep integration capabilities, robust channels/partners, and the ability to support high-volume, strategic, and enterprise deployments. Long-term vendor viability is playing an increasingly important role.
• Challengers often exhibit a strong focus on a specific technology or vertical expertise. This segment contains both traditional document management vendors and vendors evolving to ECM from static archival, Web content, and imaging/workflow.
• Followers generally trail due to limitations in terms of technology components or lower overall market presence. Typically, these vendors have a stronger focus in core legacy capabilities and view ECM as secondary to their core target market.</p>
<p>About the Report
Providing comprehensive, side-by-side vendor comparisons and research, META Group’s Enterprise Content Management Tools METAspectrumSM In Depth report helps users evaluate the overall performance of IT vendors and their competitive market position as well as compare and contrast the strengths and limitations of each vendor’s product offerings. The evaluation is based on META Group’s METAspectrum methodology, which provides a framework for evaluating or selecting an appropriate IT vendor or product, simplifies the decision process, and enables more effective technology investments. To learn more about META Group’s METAspectrumSM In Depth reports or the METAspectrum methodology, visit www.metagroup.com/metaspectrum or call META Group on (02) 9290 8688</p>
<p>About META Group
META Group is a leading provider of information technology research, advisory services, and strategic consulting. Delivering objective and actionable guidance, META Group’s experienced analysts and consultants are trusted advisors to IT and business executives around the world. Our unique collaborative models and dedicated customer service help clients be more efficient, effective, and timely in their use of IT to achieve their business goals. Visit metagroup.com for more details on our high-value approach.</p>
- SHI International expands into A/NZ with Sydney office
- Nuix’s CEO and CFO step down amid IPO questions
- Windows 11 rumours flare anew with Windows 10 'retirement' set for 2025
- Which integrators are leading the cloud security charge?
- Will centralised smartphone procurement see retailers bypass distribution?