EDGE 2020 Goes Virtual
<p>New hard drives and branded solutions meet user demand for anywhere, anytime access to digital content, including:</p>
<p>- 1.8-inch perpendicular recording drive with 60GB designed for handheld device,</p>
<p>- 2.5-inch notebook hybrid hard drive that combines rotating disc storage with flash memory,</p>
<p>- A new Savvio enterprise drive with low power requirements and unprecedented reliability,</p>
<p>- The next generation Mirra Server that syncs, shares and protects data between PC and Mac computers,</p>
<p>- 8.0 GB Pocket Drive</p>
<p>Seagate Technology (NYSE:STX) is again setting the pace with today’s announcement of a slate of new hard drives and solutions for entertainment, consumer electronics, and computing – all designed to support the growing demand for digital content in a on-demand world. The company unveiled 10 new products that enable on-demand – virtually anytime, anywhere – availability of digital audio, video, and data across a whole host of devices and applications.</p>
<p>These new products, many of which leverage Seagate’s industry leading perpendicular recording technology, include 1.8-inch, 2.5-inch and 3.5-inch hard drives with up to 750GB of capacity for Consumer Electronics, notebook and desktop PC and enterprise applications. The company also introduced a notebook drive that combines rotating disc and flash memory, and added Macintosh support to its next generation Mirra personal server – making it the first device to sync, share and secure data between Macs and PCs.</p>
<p>Enhanced storage capacities, faster processing and nearly ubiquitous broadband and wireless connectivity have combined to create an environment in which users rely on a wide range of devices to deliver anywhere, anytime access to their music, movies, photos, data and other digital content.</p>
<p>“More digital content is being delivered to a broader range of consumers than ever before. What’s more, the on-demand phenomenon crosses all market segments, driving an extraordinary increase and diversification in the need for solutions that help people create, store, share, and protect digital content everywhere – whether in the home, hand, the car or the office,” said Bill Watkins, president and CEO of Seagate. “Our extensive technology portfolio leveraged across multiple product platforms, combined with the resources gained through our recent acquisition of Maxtor, has strengthened our ability to deliver the industry’s most compelling, cost-effective products for today’s on-demand world.”</p>
<p>New Consumer Electronics Products
Demand for hard drives as the key enabling technology for many new consumer electronics products continues, and the growth of CE is a driving force across other market segments as well. Seagate addresses this need with the following new hard drives for gaming, DVRs, handheld devices and other CE applications:</p>
<p>- The Seagate ST18 Series drives leverage Seagate’s perpendicular recording technology to deliver an industry leading 60GB on a single platter – all in a compact 1.8-inch disc drive ideal for today’s handheld devices. Designed for portable media players and GPS systems; digital video cameras and palmtop PCs, the drives offer best-in-class features including G-Force Protection, a technology that increases robustness to 1500 Gs – comparable to solid-state memory – making the ST18 Series the toughest drive on the market. Sophisticated power management ensures longer battery life for handheld devices.
- The next generation LD25 Series drives built specifically for game consoles, home entertainment devices and small footprint media PCs. Built with Seagate’s DynaPlay technology, the drives provide optimal media streaming, power consumption and content security, enhancing traditional gaming capabilities by allowing them to expand and create game soundtracks, rip and store entire libraries of music and video, and play-back multimedia. Currently available in 20GB, 30GB and 40GB capacities, the new LD25 Series drives will add 60GB and 80GB capacities.
- The DB35 Series hard drive, now available in up to 750GB, is designed to help manufacturers optimize HDD performance for high video capacities and other demanding DVR environments. DynaPlay Technology fine-tunes the drive’s operating parameters for entertainment applications, including performance for uninterrupted digital media, security to enhance fair use of digital programming, and power to give manufacturers more leeway in selecting cost-efficient power supplies and keep internal temperatures under control. The DB35 Series drives are also based on perpendicular recording technology.</p>
Seagate expanded its branded solutions offerings with drives that offer enhanced capabilities and greater capacity to meet consumers’ on-demand needs. Its new branded solutions include the following:</p>
<p>- The Seagate Mirra Sync and Share Personal Server, the next generation of last year’s award winning Seagate Mirra Personal Server 2.0, is now available with Mac connectivity in 320GB and 500GB capacities. The server allows remote access to digital content from anywhere, anytime via the Internet and is the ideal tool to sync, share and protect data between PC and Mac computers in SOHO, small businesses and networked home environments. The Seagate Mirra Sync and Share Personal Server is the only product that combines a suite of content protection features as well as free online user accounts allowing secure remote access and file sharing with family, friends and colleagues.
- Seagate’s 8.0GB Pocket Drive gives users huge storage capacity in a pocket size mobile package. The drive can carry a seemingly endless amount and type of data, including up to 2560 digital photos, 133 hours of digital music, eight hours of digital video or four computer games.
- Seagate is also announcing that two of its previously announced branded solution products, the 500GB and 300GB eSATA Pushbutton Back-up Hard Drives and the 750GB Pushbutton Back-up Hard Drive are now on retail shelves.</p>
Enhanced security, greater power, speed and reliability are all the hallmark of on-demand world computing requirements. Seagate’s new PC drives offer that and more, with the following:
- Three of Seagate’s Momentus family 2.5-inch notebook PC hard drives are now available with perpendicular recording technology to deliver unmatched mobile computing capacities of 160GB. The drives include the Momentus 5400 PSD, a 2.5-inch notebook hybrid hard drive that combines rotating disc storage with flash memory for greater power efficiency, faster boot-ups and increased reliability; the Momentus 5400.2 FDE, the industry’s only 2.5-inch encrypting drive that delivers the highest levels of protection for data on lost, stolen or retired notebook PCs; and the Momentus 7200.2, a 7200-rpm drive for high-performance laptops.</p>
Seagate’s new Barracuda ES and Savvio 10K.2 drives are uniquely optimized for a variety of storage requirements for the enterprise.
- The new Barracuda ES packs the high capacity, high reliability, and Enterprise multi-drive features demanded by capacity-intensive 24/7 applications, making it ideal for low cost-per-GB business storage solutions. With SATA capacities up to a massive 750 GBs, the Barracuda ES powers RAID systems and other multi-drive solutions and can support 50% more capacity within the same system form factor, all while maximizing performance and availability.
- Seagate’s second-generation 2.5-inch enterprise class disc drive, the Savvio 10K.2, delivers high I/O transaction performance with world-record 1.6 million hour MTBF reliability and up to 146 GB capacity. With ultra-low power consumption that has dropped an average of 15% over its prior generation, and a size that is 70% smaller than conventional 3.5-inch drives, the Savvio 10K.2 makes possible the integration of more drives into smaller chassis sizes to enable storage systems to run cooler, faster, and more reliably than ever.</p>
<p>Pricing and Availability
The Seagate 320GB and 500GB Mirra Sync and Share Personal Servers will start shipping in the US in June 2006 and will retail for US$499 and US$599, respectively. The Seagate 8.0GB Pocket Drive will begin shipping in July 2006 and will retail for US$149. The Seagate 750GB Pushbutton Backup Hard Drive is currently shipping in the US and retails for US$559. The Seagate 300GB and 500GB eSATA Pushbutton Back-up Hard Drives are currently shipping in the US and retail for US$269 and US$399 respectively.</p>
<p>Check out the Seagate Podcast
To learn more about Seagate and the On-Demand World, check out the latest podcast, now available online at http://www.podtech.net/seagate</p>
Seagate is the worldwide leader in the design, manufacture and marketing of hard disc drives, providing products for a wide-range of Enterprise, Desktop, Mobile Computing, and Consumer Electronics applications. Seagate’s business model leverages technology leadership and world-class manufacturing to deliver industry-leading innovation and quality to its global customers, and to be the low cost producer in all markets in which it participates. The company is committed to providing award-winning products, customer support and reliability to meet the world’s growing demand for information storage. Seagate can be found around the globe and at www.seagate.com.</p>
<p>Seagate, Seagate Technology and the Wave logo are registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC. Pushbutton Backup, and Pocket Drive, Mirra and G-Force Protection are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Seagate Technology LLC or one of its affiliated companies. All other trademarks or registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners. One gigabyte, or GB, equals one billion bytes when referring to hard drive capacity. One terabyte, or TB, equals 1,000 gigabytes when referring to hard drive capacity. Accessible capacity may vary depending on operating environment and formatting. Quantitative usage examples for various applications are for illustrative purposes. Actual quantities will vary based on various factors, including file size, file format, features and application software.</p>
<p># # #</p>
<p>Submitted on behalf of Seagate by Einsteinz Communications. For more information please contact Pru Quinlan on (02) 9965 7227</p>