Digi enhances console management server

Digi enhances console management server


Digi International will drive its growth in the Australian market in the next 12 months with added features to its flagship network management device, PortServer CM 32.

The unit acts as a management console for administrators to monitor and control any device, such as servers, routers or switches on a company's network.

Digi claims standard network management software platforms that operate via SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol) provide monitoring on an application level, covering around 70 per cent of potential problems. The PortServer CM 32 enables users to gain access to network devices at the serial port level and in doing so capture the remaining 30 per cent of potential failures or errors before they become serious.

The product features Secure Shell (v2 or v1) Security Protocol to protect devices against unauthorised monitoring or sniffing and Digi has introduced a number of feature upgrades to make the product more functional.

The PortServer CM 32 now features an Auto Alert system that can notify network managers of system errors via e-mail, SMS (short message service) or pager. Operated through a Web-interface GUI, the product also sports multi-level menus that simplify navigation and enable administrators to assign the level of network access for individuals or groups.

In Australia this week to promote the product, Raymond Woo, managing director of Digi International Asia-Pacific, said he was confident PortServer CM 32 would sell well in Australia despite a fairly flat economic climate. From Digi's own market research the console management terminal market will be worth around $US100 million worldwide this year. He expects Australia to account for around 2 per cent of that figure.

Priced at around $US4,500, PortServer CM 32 is available through Tech Pacific and T-Data.

Follow Us

Join the newsletter!


Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.
Show Comments