Emerging Leaders 2018
Symantec Announces Availability of Veritas NetBackup 6.5
- 16 August, 2007 10:44
<p>Market leading data protection platform unifies disk-based data protection technologies</p>
<p>SYDNEY, Australia –16 August, 2007 – Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the availability of the latest release of Veritas NetBackup, the market-leading enterprise data protection solution(1). Announced in June at Symantec’s Vision 2007 annual user conference, NetBackup 6.5 offers the industry’s only platform to unite leading next-generation data protection offerings including tape, virtual tape libraries (VTLs), disk backup, data deduplication, continuous data protection (CDP), snapshots and replication.</p>
<p>With Veritas NetBackup 6.5, Symantec is now delivering on the first technology pillar of its Storage United business initiative which helps enterprises address their most pressing storage challenges with a unified, software-oriented approach. Building further on this initiative, Symantec unveiled the second pillar of Storage United with the Aug. 1 announcement of Veritas CommandCentral Storage 5.0, a next-generation storage resource management (SRM) solution.</p>
<p>“NetBackup 6.5 puts disk right at the heart of NetBackup,” said Matt Kixmoeller, senior director, product management, Symantec. “By providing a platform that can manage all of today’s innovative data protection technologies, NetBackup 6.5 allows customers to continue to leverage tape, while also giving them flexibility to take full advantage of a number of next-generation data protection technologies such as replication, snapshots, CDP and deduplication.”</p>
<p>NetBackup 6.5 Delivers Next Generation Data Protection Platform</p>
<p>NetBackup 6.5 now provides customers with a single platform for integrated end-to-end management of heterogeneous data protection technologies.
The NetBackup platform offers enterprises unprecedented choice and flexibility to select best-of-breed technologies in replication, snapshots, CDP, data deduplication, encryption, virtual tape and traditional tape – either from Symantec or leading third-party vendors. New features and enhancements in NetBackup 6.5 include extensive disk-based backup capabilities, data deduplication, granular recovery for VMware, deep integration with intelligent backup appliances and VTLs, heterogeneous snapshot management and innovative new licensing and pricing programs.</p>
<p>Key highlights of NetBackup 6.5 include:</p>
<p>* Comprehensive disk management capabilities facilitate the deployment of disk-based data protection to improve backup operations, speed recovery and shrink backup windows. These capabilities include native data deduplication that can be leveraged by the entire NetBackup environment, native disk backup and recovery capabilities, deep integration with intelligent disk appliances and VTLs, and heterogeneous snapshot and CDP management.
* NetBackup 6.5 delivers the most comprehensive protection for VMware environments, providing an industry first by enabling granular file-level and image level-recovery from a single backup, along with deduplication for VMware backups.
* Similarly in Microsoft SharePoint environments, NetBackup 6.5 offers database and document-level recovery from the same backup, eliminating the need for multiple backups of the same system.
* NetBackup 6.5 provides an instant recovery feature for Microsoft Exchange environments that enables administrators to recover from a disk-based snapshot, enabling faster recovery and minimising disruptions.
* A new lightweight SAN client which drives backup and recovery jobs over the Storage Area Network, dramatically shrinking backup and recovery times when compared to traditional LAN backup.</p>
<p>Capacity-Based Pricing Model Offers Choice and Flexibility</p>
<p>Symantec also introduced the industry’s first capacity-based pricing option for enterprise data protection software with NetBackup 6.5. Customers now have the choice of licensing NetBackup software on a capacity-based model (based upon the total amount of data being protected) or continuing to use the traditional per-server model.</p>
<p>Symantec is a global leader in infrastructure software, enabling businesses and consumers to have confidence in a connected world. The company helps customers protect their infrastructure, information and interactions by delivering software and services that address risks to security, availability, compliance and performance. Headquartered in Cupertino, Calif., Symantec has operations in 40 countries. More information is available at www.symantec.com .</p>
<p>1. Gartner Research, “MarketScope for Enterprise Backup/Recovery Software, 2006,” by Dave Russell, Carolyn DiCenzo, September 16, 2006</p>
<p>NOTE TO EDITORS: If you would like additional information on Symantec Corporation and its products, please visit the Symantec News Room at http://www.symantec.com/news. All prices noted are in U.S. dollars and are valid only in the United States.</p>
<p>Symantec and the Symantec Logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Symantec Corporation or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. Other names may be trademarks of their respective owners.</p>
+61 2 8879 1110
+61 2 9954 3492
- Govt gets over 30 data breach notifications in three weeks under new disclosure laws
- Australia’s newest IT consulting powerhouse goes public after $70M IPO
- Brocade A/NZ boss exits to run F5 Networks locally
- Unisys wins $46.5M extension to Defence IT support deal
- Broadcom looks for smaller deals as Qualcomm bid collapses