EDGE 2020 Goes Virtual
<p>Sorell School Embraces the Future of Telephony with C&I Implementation of 3Com® NBX® 100</p>
<p>Australia, 18 June, 2004 – Sorell School, one of the oldest and continuously operating schools in Australia, has embraced new frontiers in education with the implementation of an 3Com® NBX® 100 networked telephony solution.</p>
<p>Located on a site chosen by Governor Macquarie, Sorell School has a proud pioneering heritage dating back to 1821. Sorell encourages students to pursue diverse syllabus that includes the opportunity to experience a mock-colonial style classroom in the schools’ very own pioneer village.</p>
<p>And while the school is proud of its past, the focus is clearly on the future. The School’s motto “Respecting our Past, Creating our Future”, has ensured it is the first school in Tasmania to embrace the latest IP telephony technology. C&I Networking Services, in partnership with 3Com, developed and implemented a 3Com NBX 100 package designed specifically to suit the needs of Sorell School, in time for a smooth start to classes in 2004.</p>
<p>Mick Sheehan, principal, Sorell School said: “With 836 students enrolled in kindergarten to year 12, spread over two campuses, we had outgrown our PABX system’s limited number of lines and extensions. The school formed a procurement committee to establish the parameters of a new system. Requirements included extra lines, more extensions, basic messaging, better security and cordless handsets for staff on yard duty as well as voicemail for all staff.</p>
<p>“After seeking eight quotes, the 3Com NBX solution was selected based on features that met and exceeded all requirements, including competitive pricing, and ease of implementation – what was really attractive was that no new voice cabling was required. Our existing data network uses 3Com SuperStack® 4300 and 3300 switches with a fibre backbone to support the NBX system.”</p>
<p>Paul Tremayne, manager, C&I Networking Services said: “The actual installation was very straightforward, with the Sorell School IT staff taking on the role of distributing handsets and providing initial setup instructions to users.</p>
<p>“Local IT support staff maintain the system with minimal training required. Because the system is totally scalable, they also perform all moves and changes to handsets and lines. Regular backups are e-mailed to C&I for off-site backup and imaging of the C&I in-house NBX system for support services.”</p>
<p>Mary Rappl, administrative manager, Sorell School said: “The new system has really improved our administrative efficiency as well as helping us move towards our goal of becoming a paperless school. The messaging capabilities save time and resources, freeing up administrative staff to focus on servicing students and staff as well as the needs of external callers.</p>
<p>“The after-hours direct in-dial includes a number for parents to report absenteeism. It means parents can call in at 7:00am to report a child’s absenteeism. They don’t have to wait until the school opens and it means we’re not bombarded with calls just before 9:00am, when things are really busy around starting time.”</p>
<p>The 3Com NBX 100 deployed by C&I Networking Services has approximately 110 users and includes the following features:
* Main reception duties transfer automatically (via dial-plan) between Primary and High School according to time of day and staff requirements.
* Cordless DECT phone with two handsets is included via an analogue terminal adapter. An external antenna gives coverage over entire campus (and even into the township) for staff on yard duty. The handsets have the additional security feature of operating as two-way radios. The system can expand to nine handsets.
* Auto-attendants are configured for all staffrooms and shared phones - directing callers to individual voicemail accounts. Auto-attendants are also configured for direct-in dial numbers that are advertised for school news announcements, absenteeism reports by parents and after hours messaging.
* Multiple class-of-service levels are defined ranging from a student phone with local call capability only, through various levels of staff and time-of-day access, to senior staff with all services available.
* The NBX acts as an IMAP server, allowing users to retrieve voicemails as a WAV file in e-mail, and TAPI integration allows Outlook address book integration for outbound and inbound calls.</p>
<p>- Ends -</p>
<p>About C&I Networking Services:
C&I Network Services is a Tasmanian owned company, specialising in Communications and Networking Technologies. Current customers include Commonwealth and State Government Departments, Local Government, and SME (Small-Medium Enterprises) in the Private Sector. For further information, please visit www.cai.net.au</p>
<p>About 3Com NBX
The award-winning 3Com NBX networked telephony solution delivers a robust call-processing features coupled with a suite of telephony applications. Designed for central or branch offices, it features sophisticated software that simplifies third-party applications integration and offers extensive multi-site IP connectivity options.</p>
<p>About 3Com Corporation
3Com is a leading provider of innovative, practical and high-value voice and data networking products, services and solutions for enterprises of all sizes and public sector organisations. For further information, please visit www.3com.com, or the press site www.3com.com/pressbox.</p>
<p>3Com, the 3Com logo, SuperStack and NBX are registered trademarks of 3Com Corporation. All other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective holders.</p>
<p>For further information, please contact:
(+61) 03 9421 4899