Embattled ISP, Chariot, has finally launched its VoIP service after experiencing a difficult six months.
In an ASX statement, the ISP said its VoIP service would be offered to registered subscribers from August 30. Chariot encouraged others wanting the service to sign-up on its website.
The service delays stemmed from a legal bun-fight (www.arnnet.com.au/index.php?id=266055367) between Chariot and Transcom earlier this year. Transcom accused the Adelaide-based ISP of failing to fulfill contractual obligations and issued a claim of $3.2 million for breach of contract.
The resignation of former Chariot managing director, Robert Horlin-Smith, added to the ISP's troubles. His departure coincided with ASIC charges for involvement in a previous company in which it was alleged Horlin-Smith submitted misleading financial records to the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
Garry Heresy took the reigns as CEO in early August and immediately announced a restructuring of Chariot's operations "to improve its on-going performance and financial position". This involved centralising the branch network and closing nine offices in Victoria, NSW and Queensland and leaving three regional centres located in Adelaide, Ballarat and the Gold Cost. As a result, 48 permanent and casual staff were retrenched.
"Going forward, our focus is very much on organic growth and operational improvement. Building on what we have is the core thought process for us now," Heresy said in a statement to the ASX.
The ISP added the new Chariot VoIP service had no association with Transcom or Linqk and did not use any Transcom VoIP product or services.