Lenovo Group will release a new centralised management hub for its PC productivity tools worldwide on September 15. The LANDesk Management Suite for ThinkVantage Technologies, announced Wednesday, will consolidate the company's ThinkVantage Technologies software for IT administrators.
The suite's focus is software license monitoring, software distribution, image creation and deployment, inventory and remote control, said Lenovo, which is based in North Carolina. Those aspects of the company's productivity tools will work with ThinkVantage Technologies, designed to let IT administrators remotely deploy and manage various of the technology features throughout their networks.
Using LANDesk, that means, for instance, that administrators will be able to use the company's Rescue and Recovery 3.0 software to handle backup or recovery from remote locations. The objective is to decrease the need for desk support visits and help-desk calls.
Rescue and Recover 3.0 has an enhanced Antidote Delivery Manager so that IT departments can provide fixes and updates to users no matter where they are located and even if user's computers are out of commission because of a worm or virus, Lenovo said.
Lenovo also announced upgrades to ThinkVantage Technologies, including new Rescue and Recovery features. These include:
- Restore capabilities that let users recover from crashes without losing settings or having to rescue files
- Single-instance storage that stores on the most recent copy of large files so that backup sizes are decreased and less hard drive space is used
- A backup analyzer that lets users choose the correct files to exclude or lets them keep a single backup copy of a file so that smaller backup files can be kept.
- Direct connection to service and support for drivers, software and BIOS
- Integration into the PC management systems of customers for push and pull distributions of applications
- Detailed system inventory data and alerts to inventory management systems.
- An easy setup wizard that works out of the box
- Log-on password recovery
- A system security audit.
Pricing information for the new management suite will be provided on the Sept. 15 release date.