Menu
Connectivity Briefs: Broadband, Hitachi and NEC

Connectivity Briefs: Broadband, Hitachi and NEC

Australia’s broadband makes the top 20

Australia ranks amongst the top 20 nations for broadband subscribers, a new report has revealed. Conducted by UK research firm, Point Topic, for the DSL Forum, the report found global broadband subscribers grew by 12.3 per cent (12 million) in the first quarter of 2004 to reach 111.5 million. Not surprisingly, the US led with 27,467,523 subscribers, followed by China (15,115,000) and Japan (14,917,165). Australia was ranked 18th with 863,850 subscribers. The Australian figure is slightly higher than figures released by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC). According to the ACCC, adoption of broadband services across the country grew by 14.4 per cent (86,900 users) in the last quarter of 2003 to reach 698,700 subscribers. The report also found worldwide take-up of DSL is on the rise, and is fast overtaking cable. Globally, DSL has a 65.8 per cent share of the broadband access market, with the remaining 34.2 per cent held by cable modems, Ethernet and other broadband technologies.

Hitachi, NEC to form networking joint venture

Hitachi and NEC plan to form a joint venture company in October that will produce network routers and switches for corporations and telecommunications carriers. The Tokyo- based joint venture, which was not named, will supply backbone routers and switches to Hitachi and NEC for the two companies to sell on to their own customers. It will employ 350 staff and have an initial capital of $US51.2 million. Hitachi will own 60 per cent of the venture and NEC the remaining 40 per cent.


Follow Us

Join the newsletter!

Or

Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.
Show Comments