EDGE 2020 Goes Virtual
<p>Delivering TV-Like Video and Near CD Quality Sound with Sleek Dual Function Display</p>
<p>Polycom VSX 3000 features integrated LCD that doubles as a PC monitor; delivers H.264 video compression for better video over lower bandwidth and AES encryption</p>
<p>Polycom®, Inc. (NASDAQ: PLCM), the world’s leader in video and voice conferencing, conference bridges, and integrated web collaboration solutions, today announced the Polycom VSX™ 3000, the first and only personal video conferencing system that delivers the highest levels of video and voice quality in a fully-integrated desktop system, that doubles as a PC display.</p>
<p>The Polycom VSX 3000 is an all-in-one system that includes a high-performance video conferencing codec combined with a built in camera, microphone, speakers and 17-inch LCD display that can also be used as the PC monitor. The integrated system is ideally suited for desktops, executive suites, remote offices, doctor’s offices and educational resource rooms.</p>
<p>"The Polycom VSX 3000 is an impressive personal video conferencing system that brings high-performance group system quality and functionality to the desktop, and a unique dual-purpose display that saves valuable desktop real estate,” said Andrew W. Davis, managing partner of Wainhouse Research. “Video conferencing technology continues to advance and the expansion of video conferencing applications on the desktop is a hot trend to watch. The penetration of high-speed IP data networks and VoIP solutions within the enterprise are helping to pave the way for more high-quality video conferencing at the desktop and Polycom is well positioned with a range of flexible options that meet different customer requirements.”</p>
<p>Based on award-winning Polycom VSX video conferencing technology, the Polycom VSX product family is designed to drive wider adoption of video conferencing through easy to use and manage systems that deliver TV-like video and near-CD-quality audio, and enable more efficient bandwidth use through H.264 video compression. The Polycom VSX 3000 is complementary to web conferencing solutions and is integrated with Polycom’s WebOffice personal conferencing portal, enabling users to leverage a buddy list with presence to check availability and device readiness and to launch instant video calls with group and desktop video systems with a single button from their buddy list.</p>
<p>The best audio and video quality available and dual purpose display
Polycom VSX 3000 features the most advanced video and voice conferencing technologies, including:
· Near CD-quality audio - Polycom’s Siren 14™ (14khz) wideband audio, complemented by dual embedded high-fidelity speakers and finely tuned microphone.
· TV-quality video - Polycom ProMotion™ video (60 fields-per-second, full-screen video) provides TV quality video previously reserved for more expensive, boardroom video conferencing systems.
· Integrated 17-inch LCD display - The integrated system features a built-in 17-inch, flat panel display that can also be used as a PC monitor. The sleek, low profile design occupies a small footprint on the desktop and provides twice the viewing area of other systems.
· Higher quality over lower bandwidths - H.264 video compression delivers twice the video quality over the same bandwidth or current quality at half the bandwidth. H.264 is also currently available across Polycom group video conferencing systems, including -- iPower™, VSX 7000, ViewStation® EX, FX and VS4000 video conferencing systems and MGC™ multi-point bridging products.
· AES encryption for security - Embedded standards-based AES encryption is included - enabling secure video calls.
· Multiple network support - Customers can choose between two models: IP-only (H.323) or a model supporting both IP and ISDN (H.320). The system supports IP data rates up to 2 Mbps and ISDN rates up to 512 kbps.
· Optional multipoint software licenses - Support dial-in and dial-out, mixed-network multipoint capability for up to four sites over IP/ISDN.
· Data sharing support - The Polycom VSX 3000 enables users to receive dual-stream People+Content™ data within video calls. Polycom will offer the ability to send People+Content data from a VSX 3000 as an option in the fourth quarter of 2004.*
· WebOffice integration - Integration with Polycom WebOffice personal conferencing portal enables customers to use a corporate buddy list with presence to see user availability and device readiness and to launch instant video calls from Polycom group and desktop video systems through the buddy list with a single button.
Breakthrough ease of use and management
The Polycom VSX 3000 features:
· Dual monitor emulation - Another technology first, users can now display near and far video side-by-side on a single monitor, optimizing the single display and saving both space and financial investment in additional displays.
· Customisable user interface - The intuitive user interface can be tailored to suit the individual user including establishing preset dial locations on the home screen for one-click dialling, selectable and camera icons for educational, medical or judicial applications.
· Intuitive remote control - Colour coordinated function buttons simplify navigation. Polycom remotes can now be used interchangeably across ViewStation® products and Polycom VSX products.
· International language support and native language management -Support for 11 language translations in the user interface, remote controls, documentation, web interface and audio keypad confirmation simplify worldwide deployment. International management capabilities enable administrators to access and manage a system through a web interface in their language of choice, independent of the language in which the actual endpoint is configured.</p>
<p>“We redefined quality and value with our Polycom VSX 7000 group conferencing system and are now bringing that same technology and value to the executive desktop with this next-generation personal video conferencing system,” said Ed Ellett, senior vice president and general manager of video communications for Polycom. “The Polycom VSX 3000 is the latest edition to our end-to-end solution of industry leading products, which deliver unmatched quality and value to customers and the ability to accelerate decision-making and collaboration within organisations.”</p>
<p>Polycom VSX 3000 is an integrated part of the Polycom Office™, a strategy for integrating voice, video, web and data conferencing into a single user experience, and is compatible with other Polycom endpoints, multipoint control units and management systems. The current Polycom line of group video conferencing systems include (from entry to performance): ViewStation SP, Polycom VSX 7000, ViewStation EX, ViewStation FX, VS4000 and iPower 9000 series.</p>
<p>Pricing and Availability
The Polycom VSX 3000 is a fully integrated system that includes a high-performance video codec, remote control and built in microphone, camera, speakers and 17-inch LCD monitor. The Polycom VSX 3000 is available through Polycom channel partners starting at a suggested retail price of AU$7,625 or NZ$8,825. The Polycom VSX 3000 includes a one-year hardware and 90-day software warranty. For the first year, Polycom also includes telephone help desk support, software updates and upgrades. Customers can purchase a higher level of service from Polycom channel partners with cost-effective multi-year agreements available. AES encryption is included and multipoint capability is available as an optional software license.</p>
Polycom, Inc. is the world’s technology leader of high-quality, easy-to-use video, voice, data and web conferencing and collaboration solutions. The Polycom Office™ is our continued commitment to make distance communications as natural and interactive as being there by providing best-in-class conferencing solutions that are interoperable, integrated and intuitive to the user. The Polycom Office is based on industry standards and supported by an open architecture that promotes interoperability in multi-vendor environments and complements leading network infrastructure platforms. For additional information in Australia call 1-800-355-355 or visit www.polycom.com.au <http:>. For New Zealand call toll free 0800 POLYCOM (0800 765 9266) or visit <http:></http:></http:></p>
<p>Polycom, the Polycom logo, and ViewStation are registered trademarks and Polycom Office, iPower, Polycom VSX, Siren14, ProMotion, VisualConcert, MPPlus and People+Content are trademarks of Polycom in the U.S. and various countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. ©2004, Polycom, Inc. All rights reserved.</p>
<p>*Polycom's application of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) requires disclosure that availability of this feature is subject to change or cancellation</p>