Westan transforms AV arm into CE division

Westan transforms AV arm into CE division

Westan will spend the next few weeks transforming its Quality Technology Distribution (QTD) subsidiary into an in-house consumer electronics division.

QTD is currently relocating from Westan's office in Mount Waverley, Victoria, for its official inauguration as the Westan CE division on September 1.

Westan managing director, Victor Aghtan, said the former audiovisual (AV) arm of the PC and components distributor would now become the basis for a broader CE business under the Westan banner, although initially the move would be low profile.

"Westan CE will operate separately from Westan's IT division - there will be branding changes but the staff and customers will remain the same," Aghtan said.

"However, we'll be looking to extend the product set in the next 12 months."

Aghtan said QTD boss, Frank Dipiero, would become division manager of Westan CE and hinted that product lines would eventually cross over, but not via a concerted push by Westan itself.

"This is just a more efficient way for us to operate," Aghtan said.

"We'll let the market push us - I'm not concerned about any conflict in the near future."

Westan general manager, Phil Jackson, said the new CE division would offer a range of CE and digital home products, some of which were already being distributed by QTD.

These included projectors from BenQ and Mitsubishi, wide screen monitors and televisions and digital cameras.

The Australian distributor acquired 70 per cent of the QTD business in July last year. The remaining 30 per cent will continue to be owned by a conglomerate of other companies.

Westan's current business portfolio is divided into systems and storage, communications and peripherals.

Follow Us

Join the newsletter!


Sign up to gain exclusive access to email subscriptions, event invitations, competitions, giveaways, and much more.

Membership is free, and your security and privacy remain protected. View our privacy policy before signing up.

Error: Please check your email address.


ARN Innovation Awards 2022

Innovation Awards is the market-leading awards program for celebrating ecosystem innovation and excellence across the technology sector in Australia.

EDGE 2022

EDGE is the leading technology conference for business leaders in Australia and New Zealand, built on the foundations of collaboration, education and advancement.

Brand Post

Show Comments