NEC this week unveiled a virtual switch for Microsoft's Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V hypervisor which is designed to bring OpenFlow-based software-defined networking and network virtualization to those Microsoft environments.
Hailed as one of Microsoft's broadest, deepest releases, Windows Server 8 will replace the current version of the OS, Windows Server 2008, in 2012 about the same time the new companion desktop OS, Windows 8, is released. Microsoft has a broad set of goals to reach with this release, such as cloud compatibility and automation of routine tasks across multiple machines. The new release also benefits from Microsoft's work building out its own Azure cloud service. Many technologies developed for the server were tested in the cloud, and many technologies developed for Azure were then imported back to the server.
IT management company, Quest Software, shared 10 predictions for technology trends and practices in 2012 based on its latest The Experts Conference (TEC) survey.
Fasthosts has introduced a range of virtual servers, based on Microsoft Hyper-V, that allows customers to configure a server by choosing capacity, processor power and control settings that meet changing business needs.
An IDC analyst has played down VMware’s new VMware Go solution for SMBs, claiming it may not make its intended splash in the market.
Sign up now »
Modernizing Security for the Small and Mid-Sized Business – Recommendations for 2013 (Sponsored by McAfee)
As small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs) take advantage of the compelling benefits of the transformations in their IT computing infrastructure they should also re-think how they deal with the corresponding vulnerabilities, threats and risks. Specifically, email security, web security and secure file sharing should be considered foundational security capabilities for every small and mid-sized business, in addition to anti-virus and firewalls.
iAsset is a channel management ecosystem that automates all major aspects of the entire sales,marketing and service process, including data tracking, integrated learning, knowledge management and product lifecycle management.
- FBI director defends phone surveillance program
- Microsoft launches security bounty programs for Windows 8.1 and IE 11 Preview
- Apple end-to-end encryption far from bulletproof
- Java 7 Update 25 fixes 40 security issues, turns on certificate revocation checking
- Statistics reaffirm breach threat, but executive inaction still impeding security: Black Swan
- Social media adds spice to financial services, say banks
- Google Analytics advocate touts plans to own the Universal customer view
- Google asks to make surveillance orders public, citing First Amendment
- ADMA criticises government plans for compulsory data breach notification
- Google Glass privacy concerns raised by international data protection authorities