We all know that relying on a simple user ID and password combination is fraught with peril. One alternative is to use one of the single sign-on solutions we reviewed last year, but there are less expensive options that could also be easier to install.
When the moderator of a panel discussion at the recent RSA conference asked the audience how many thought their risk management programs were successful, only a handful raised their hands. So Network World Editor in Chief John Dix asked two of the experts on that panel to hash out in an email exchange why these programs don't tend to work.
Specialty retailer Genesco faces an uphill battle in its precedent-setting US$13.3 million lawsuit against Visa USA, a Garner analyst said.
Context-aware application control: A new approach to block endpoint threats that bypass traditional security methods
Corporate endpoints are under attack from cybercriminals who have developed ingenious and effective methods for installing malware on endpoints that can steal control from the end user, and there is no indication these attacks will slow down anytime soon. One reason: popular defensive technologies have provided some protection against the most blatant attacks, but have had little impact against more advanced threats. A new approach to endpoint protection is desperately needed.
Identity theft has been the top consumer complaint to the Federal Trade Commission now for 13 years running.
RSA, the security division of EMC, kicks off its annual security conference on IT security today with a pitch to establish its new Big Data Security and risk-governance products as a foundation for security operations centers. And RSA says it'll send in its security professionals to help set them up, too.
The US Department of Veterans Affairs has begun installing millions of sensors on just about anything that costs more than $US50.
Three decades into the digital revolution, passwords are still complicated, ineffective and a drain on IT's resources. What gives?
Sign up now »
Cloud and Co-Location Solutions
iAsset is a channel management ecosystem that automates all major aspects of the entire sales,marketing and service process, including data tracking, integrated learning, knowledge management and product lifecycle management.
- U.S. urged to let companies 'hack-back' at IP cyber thieves
- AusCERT 2013: Introduction to Network Security Monitoring with Security Onion - AusCERT Presentation
- Auscert 2013: Perimeter protection has failed, encryption needs its day in the sun
- Researchers find more versions of digitally signed Mac OS X spyware
- AusCERT 2013: Low-level analysis can find, map data deleted from Android phones
- Lack of information, skills hinder finance-business partnering: Deloitte
- Rapid-growing mobile payments market is driving a financial fraud marketplace
- HP profit falls 32 per cent as PC and server sales decline
- Google launching new fund for later-stage tech investments
- Apple defends offshore decisions that result in low taxes