SDN start-up Vello Systems this week said it is forming an organization to promote open source and software-defined networking principles to optical enterprise networking.
Ericsson and Ciena have signed a global agreement to develop joint transport solutions for converged IP and optical networks that also use SDN (software-defined networking) features.
The Southern Cross Cable Network has unveiled it aims to utilise the WaveLogic 3 platform from US-based telecommunications networking equipment company, Ciena, to add an additional 500 Gigabits per second (Gbps) to its two Trans-Pacific cables by July 2014.
According to the company, the upgrade will facilitate better low-latency capacity between Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch
Ciena this week said it is partnering with a handful of research networks to test a multilayer, software-defined WAN.
Service providers will be able to launch Ethernet services more quickly and make them work across other carriers more easily with a new set of standards for carrier Ethernet equipment, backers of the specifications say.
After several days of gains, tech stocks dropped Thursday as markets declined on disappointing news from Europe, where government officials are meeting to try to solve the sovereign debt crisis afflicting several countries in the euro area.
“The new network will form the backbone for IP and Ethernet products AAPT will offer to the market,” according to Ciena general manager
One gauge of industry progress on the software-defined networking front is the momentum of the Open Networking Foundation (ONF), the user-lead group that is spelling out the core SDN standards and championing the cause.
- Tor hints at possible U.S. government involvement in recent attack
- Internet of Things devices contain high number of vulnerabilities, study finds
- Antivirus products riddled with security flaws, researcher says
- 'Right to be forgotten' ruling is unworkable and misguided, UK Lords say
- Defunct Koler ransom Trojan attacked 200,000 Android users in matter of weeks
- Being the first CMO: ME Bank's Rebecca James talks customer centricity
- ADMA strikes alliance with Institute of Analytics Professionals of Australia
- Forbes: CMOs are the new transformers of business
- Pinterest Unplugged: How Westfield made the digital, physical
- Vodafone says no thanks to customer rewards programs