Verizon on Tuesday announced new technology to bolster its super-fast 100 Gbps fiber-optic network serving metro areas, but didn't reveal where the work will be done or other details.
Telstra has revised its supply agreement with Ericsson, adding three years to the existing partnership and including the provision Ciena pack-optical platforms to the former by the latter.
SDN start-up Vello Systems this week said it is forming an organization to promote open source and software-defined networking principles to optical enterprise networking.
Ericsson and Ciena have signed a global agreement to develop joint transport solutions for converged IP and optical networks that also use SDN (software-defined networking) features.
The Southern Cross Cable Network has unveiled it aims to utilise the WaveLogic 3 platform from US-based telecommunications networking equipment company, Ciena, to add an additional 500 Gigabits per second (Gbps) to its two Trans-Pacific cables by July 2014.
According to the company, the upgrade will facilitate better low-latency capacity between Auckland, Wellington and Christchurch
Ciena this week said it is partnering with a handful of research networks to test a multilayer, software-defined WAN.
Service providers will be able to launch Ethernet services more quickly and make them work across other carriers more easily with a new set of standards for carrier Ethernet equipment, backers of the specifications say.
One gauge of industry progress on the software-defined networking front is the momentum of the Open Networking Foundation (ONF), the user-lead group that is spelling out the core SDN standards and championing the cause.
- US reviews use of cellphone spying technology
- Defence key to living in modern threat environment - Symantec
- Hard Rock Hotel and Casino warns of possible payment card hack
- Following Twitter, ‘Dropbox Ireland’ emerges for the ‘rest of the world’
- The week in security: Pushing the encryption point; don't give up security fight despite onslaught
- Property hunters get real-time context with Domain app and Google Now integration
- Faster fashion with new e-commerce technology
- Business/IT collaboration sees Suncorp launch bill splitting service
- TubeMogul and Site Tour launch programmatic ad network for billboards
- How innovation labs are helping organisations think like startups