- 2 July 2012 15:53
ASUS and Google Announce Nexus™ 7 Tablet
SYDNEY, Australia (July 2nd, 2012) — Unveiled at Google I/O 2012, Nexus™ 7 is the first tablet in Google’s Nexus line of devices and the lead device for Android™ 4.1, Jelly Bean. Nexus 7 combines premium hardware designed by ASUS with the latest version of Android and all of the entertainment from Google Play. Jointly developed between ASUS and Google, Nexus 7 is the world’s first 7” quad-core tablet, built to bring consumers the best of Google in a slim and portable package that fits perfectly in the hand.
“We are very excited about this partnership and the synergy that it brings into the hands of consumers,” said ASUS Chairman Jonney Shih.
“We wanted to build a tablet that was light and portable enough for you to take your favourite entertainment wherever you go, but still didn’t compromise at all on power and performance,” said Andy Rubin, SVP of Mobile and Digital Content at Google. “Together with ASUS, we were able to accomplish that in Nexus 7.”
Nexus 7 comes with a NVIDIA® Tegra® 3 quad-core processor, meaning everything is faster – pages load quickly, gameplay is smooth and responsive, and running multiple apps is a breeze. A 12 core GeForce® GPU delivers advanced graphics while the patented 4-PLUS-1™ CPU design gives you maximum performance when you need it and power efficiency when you don’t. Nexus 7 16GB version will be sold for AU$319 in store and enables consumers to keep even more of their content close at hand -- even when they’re not online.
Super powerful, super portable With a vibrant, 1280 x 800 high-definition display, Nexus 7 brings apps, games, books and movies to life. New ASUS TruVivid technology improves colour clarity and brightness, while the IPS panel delivers crisp and detailed visuals with ultra-wide 178-degree viewing angles. Scratch-resistant Corning® FIT Glass and a textured chassis design that prevents hand slippage ensure Nexus 7 is incredibly robust and will meet the demands of consumers on the go. Delivering up to 9.5 hours of battery life in a profile that’s 10.5mm thin and 340g light, it has the portability of a paperback book, but is connected to the entire digital world of entertainment.
Inside Nexus 7 is the powerful NVIDIA Tegra 3 quad-core processor, which delivers heart pounding performance and an immersive mobile gaming experience. Games are enhanced by Nexus 7’s sensors, which include a gyroscope, accelerometer and NFC — as well as a responsive 10-finger multi touch screen — allowing users to tilt, touch and tap their way to the top of the leaderboards while exploring over 600,000 apps and games available in the Google Play™ Store.
Lead Device for Android 4.1, Jelly Bean Nexus 7 is powered by Android 4.1 Jelly Bean, the latest version of the world's most popular mobile platform. With smarter notifications that enable quick, on the fly responses, beautiful new widgets that put important information front and Centre, and home screen customisation that’s as easy as drag-and-drop, Android is faster and more intuitive than ever. Google’s services work best on Android, as all users’ content is instantly available and synced with the cloud after signing into their Google account, but it also seamlessly syncs content across users’ tablets, phones and PCs for a truly integrated experience.
Nexus 7 comes with all the top Google Apps — such as Gmail™, Chrome™, Google+™ and YouTube™ — putting the best of Google in consumers’ hands.
Made for Google Play Nexus 7 was made for Google Play. Everyone’s favorite selection of entertainment is right in their hands: the world's largest collection of eBooks, thousands of movies and a growing selection of magazines – plus over 600,000 apps and games. Nexus 7 already comes preloaded with content so users can start enjoying the Nexus experience right away. For a limited time it also comes with a $25 Google Play store credit to purchase movies, books, magazines and more.
Google Play is the easiest way for users to enjoy their favorite content – no wires, no hassle, just pure entertainment. It’s now easy to read, listen to and watch content anywhere – on a tablet, phone, or in any browser at play.google.com. Consumers can forget about cables and syncing: their movies, books, apps and games are instantly available across all of their devices and on the web. Nexus 7 is all about delivering the entertainment that users love to consume.
Light and convenient protective cover For users who seek additional protection, Nexus 7 has an optional protective smart cover. The smart cover is a tough, yet snug-fitting polymer case with a non-slip matte texture that protects Nexus 7 from bumps and scratches, and also provides additional grip. The case comes in six different colours to allow users to pick the one which best fits their lifestyle and allows Nexus 7 owners to travel with confidence.
Nexus 7 brings together ASUS’ world-class “design thinking” philosophy and the latest version of Google’s innovative Android platform to deliver the ultimate portable computing experience at an irresistible price.
(1) 9.5 hours battery life tested playing 720p video, brightness@100nits, external microphone, Wi-Fi turned on and logged in to Gmail (2) Price will vary by region. (3) Google Play services vary from country to country. Please verify exact services for each specific region. ### About ASUS ASUS, one of the world’s top three consumer notebook vendors and the maker of the world’s best-selling and most award winning motherboards, is a leading enterprise in the new digital era. ASUS designs and manufactures products that perfectly meet the needs of today’s digital home, office and person, with a broad portfolio that includes motherboards, graphics cards, optical drives, displays, desktops, Eee Box and all-in-one PCs, notebooks, netbooks, tablet devices, servers, multimedia and wireless solutions, networking devices, and mobile phones. Driven by innovation and committed to quality, ASUS won 3,886 awards in 2011, and is widely credited with revolutionising the PC industry with the Eee PC™. With a global staff of more than 11,000 and a world-class R&D team of 3,100 engineers, the company’s revenue for 2011 was around US$11.9 billion.
Android, Google Play, Gmail, Chrome, Google+ and YouTube are trademarks of Google, Inc. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Media Contact: Sabine Leroy Spectrum Communications +61 2 9954 3299 email@example.com
Sign up now »
Cloud and Co-Location Solutions
iAsset is a channel management ecosystem that automates all major aspects of the entire sales,marketing and service process, including data tracking, integrated learning, knowledge management and product lifecycle management.
- Apple end-to-end encryption far from bulletproof
- Java 7 Update 25 fixes 40 security issues, turns on certificate revocation checking
- Statistics reaffirm breach threat, but executive inaction still impeding security: Black Swan
- Apple pours OS X Snow Leopard another Java fix
- With faster 5G Wi-Fi coming, Wi-Fi Alliance kicks off certification program
- Social media adds spice to financial services, say banks
- Google Analytics advocate touts plans to own the Universal customer view
- Google asks to make surveillance orders public, citing First Amendment
- ADMA criticises government plans for compulsory data breach notification
- Google Glass privacy concerns raised by international data protection authorities