Photography - a Middle-brow Art
This perceptive and wide-ranging analysis of the practice of photography brings out the logic implicit in this cultural field. The norms which define the occasions and the objects of photography serve to display the socially differentiated functions of, and attitudes towards, the photographic image and act. For some social groups, photography is primarily a means of preserving the present and reproducing the euphoric moments of collective celebration, whereas for other groups it is the occasion of an aesthetic judgement, in which photos are endowed with the dignity of works of art.
Table of Contents
Part I: .
1. The Cult of Unity and Cultivated Differences (Pierre Bourdieu).
2. The Social Definition of Photography (Pierre Bourdieu).
Part II: .
3. Aesthetic Ambitions and Social Aspirations: The Camera Club as a Secondary Group (Robert Castel and Dominique Schnapper).
4. Mechanical Art, Natural Art: Photographic Artists (Jean-Claude Chamboredon).
5. Professional Men or Men of Quality: Professional Photographers (Luc Boltanski and Jean-Claude Chamboredon).
Sign up now »
The latest version of the flagship McAfee® Gateway Anti-Malware technology adapts to new threats and plans for future threats with a modular design that allows for the easy addition of components for maximum flexibility for future malicious exploit trends.
iAsset is a channel management ecosystem that automates all major aspects of the entire sales,marketing and service process, including data tracking, integrated learning, knowledge management and product lifecycle management.
- Statistics reaffirm breach threat, but executive inaction still impeding security: Black Swan
- Google asks to make surveillance orders public, citing First Amendment
- Expanded '2-person rule' could help plug NSA leaks
- Think like an attacker -- not a consultant
- SMBs having problems with backup, recovery: study
- ADMA criticises government plans for compulsory data breach notification
- The innovative and social CMO: CommBank's Andy Lark
- 5 social media deals that make Waze and Tumblr seem like steals
- Omnicom Media Group to deploy Salesforce Marketing Cloud worldwide
- Social data tool reveals value of an individual Tweet