Profitability in the tourism sector has always been incredibly volatile, subject to the whims of wild weather and fickle fashion. It will be interesting to see whether managers in the wider business community choose to crank up their travel budgets again as they have done in the past, or whether the convenience and ease of telecommuting and electronic conferencing will finally start to bite into business travel.
Mike Gee is the managing editor of ARN. His career spans more than 30 years in daily and weekly newspapers. He was previously Night Editor of SMH Online for nearly five years. In his other life, he has spent 37 years interviewing musicians, reviewing albums and concerts, broadcasting on public radio and writing the odd book. He has won Australia's highest award for journalism, the Walkley, twice. He is a fanatical fisherman.
In the modern economy with constantly evolving trends, technologies and ideas the companies that don't innovate will be overtaken. Innovation is no longer the domain of R&D, new product development or IT, but instead a core deliverable of every business unit and the foundation of success and profit.
Advice for leaders to help refine skills and provide direction and guidance to employees
Peter Black is an Executive Coach who has been privileged to work with over 400 individuals from predominantly large blue chip and multinational organisations over the past 5 years on career transition, executive coaching and role onboarding programs. More recently, he has worked with members of The Executive Connection, an organisation dedicated to enhancing the lives and improving the effectiveness of CEOs. His blog is a reflection of the composite personal and professional experiences of his clients, particularly those at senior levels, and of his own reinvention having commenced a new career at the age of 48 after 26 years as a Chartered Accountant with PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Mike Gee is the managing editor of ARN. He has won Australia's highest award for journalism, the Walkley, twice; is a fanatical fisherman; has published two books and work from his 35 years writing about rock music - in his other universe - and has been anthologised three times. He only reads sci-fi and fantasy and is becoming an ornery old bastard.
Ross Maher is the director of Build21c, an innovation project planning and research company that helps companies innovate. His specialities include project definition and set up, and he believes the best innovation occurs through a conversation with customers, suppliers and other stakeholders. Learn more at www.build21c.com.au
- NATO security certification opens new markets for Australia's Senetas
- Senator wants Whisper to explain how it tracks users, shares their data
- The 'Backoff' malware linked to data breaches is spreading
- Cyberespionage group launches sophisticated phishing attacks against Outlook Web App users
- Disaster as CryptoWall encrypts US firm's entire server installation
- 5 great examples of augmented reality in marketing
- Catch of the Day retailer hooks fresh customer insight with NPS
- Tourism Australia's Nick Baker wins AMI Marketer of the Year
- Content marketing can't be measured on the last-click: Outbrain CEO
- Latest crowdsourced guide rates top A/B testing vendors for marketers