Thousands of broadband users are in for a rude shock tomorrow as NBN Co prepares to enforce the first compulsory cut-offs from the old copper network.
NBN Co previously announced that it will start disconnecting the old telephone network in 15 first release areas from May 23, 2014, leaving consumers and businesses to rely exclusively on the new network for Internet and phone services.
However, new research has revealed more than more than two-thirds of Australians still believe that connecting to the NBN is a optional.
This is despite thousands of people nationwide facing tomorrow’s deadline for the first compulsory cut-offs from the traditional copper telephone network.
The survey was conducted by Hall and Partners Open Mind in April 2014, from a representative online survey of 1200 people (Australian adults in metropolitan areas) for iiNet.
It found 67 per cent of adult Australians thought connecting to the NBN was optional, and that they would be allowed to keep their existing broadband connection.
The report, Familiarity & Understanding of the NBN, also found that half of those surveyed do not know how to get an NBN service connected at their house.
Other findings include that 41 per cent of respondents had very little understanding of the changes – while eight per cent had never heard of the NBN.
iiNet Product Manager, Rachael McIntyre, said the report’s finding were surprising given that the $37 billion project was already four years into its build phase.
“The biggest surprise was that more than two thirds of these broadband users were not aware that moving to fibre is compulsory,” she said.
“Tomorrow, residents in 15 areas throughout Australia, from Tasmania to Townsville and from Willunga to Armidale, arrive at the May 23 deadline when NBN Co has said it will start disconnecting the old copper network.Read more: iiNet aims for the fence with Sydney Sixers
The report also found 20 per cent of people believe NBN Co will become their Internet provider.Read More:
- iiNet distributed 1.2 petabytes of data in December 2013
- Turnbull commits to Cloud-first approach and 'major initiatives' through E-Government policy
- NBN Co names former News Corp exec as new CFO