Vodafone boasts fastest 4G in Sydney and Melbourne

Beats Telstra and Optus convincingly in Ookla speedtests

Vodafone has the fastest 4G data speeds in Sydney and Melbourne, according to Ookla speedtests done by thousands of Samsung and HTC smartphone users in the first week of July.

Ookla is a global leader in broadband testing, network diagnostic applications and data.

Vodafone customers averaged a download speed of 48Mbps across parts of Sydney, ahead of Telstra and Optus, both of which had an average download speed of 26Mbps.

Similarly, in Melbourne, Vodafone ended up well ahead of the competition, with an average data speed of 41Mbps, compared to Telstra with an average of 30Mbps and Optus (23Mbps).

“We only launched our brand-new 4G network last month so customers can expect our coverage to grow, " Vodafone chief marketing officer, Kim Clarke, said. "in fact by the end of 2013 we plan to triple the number of network sites from launch. Our network is custom built for fast data speeds and Vodafone has always had a reputation for offering competitive pricing.”

The Sydney and Melbourne Speedtest results reflect seven-day average results gathered on the week commencing July 1 using the Ookla Speedtest app. Reference data was pulled from 2933 speedtests on Android devices connected to Vodafone 4G.

FILL IN THE SURVEY - AND YOU COULD BE A WINNER: ARN wants to hear from YOU. Tell us how you run a successful business and you could win an adrenaline-fuelled adventure of your choice. COMPLETE THE ARN SURVEY.

Tags 4gwirelessoptusbroadbandTelstraTelecommunications

More about HTCOptusSamsungTelstra CorporationVodafone

ARN Directory | Distributors relevant to this article

2 Comments

Peter Day

1

They only have about 3 towers though.. coverage is pathetic

Brad

2

Its an incorrect measure. The true measure is data speeds in Melbourne and Sydney which reflects the customer experience overall. A Vodafone customer in Sydney or Melbourne only has about a 25% chance of finding 4G which means 75% of the data traffic will be on 3G and that means the data speed for a Vodafone user should be used not just the 4G element as 75% of the data sessions will be significantly slower than either Telstra or Optus. This is typical poor form from the Vodafone executives.

Comments are now closed

 

Latest News

02:43PM
Mobile apps could be abused to make expensive phone calls
02:43PM
BigAir reaps financial rewards from UC, Cloud, managed services investments
01:52PM
Next Byte scotches strong Vita Group profit
01:10PM
St George to support biometric banking in iOS 8
More News
25 Aug
CA IT Leaders Forum ’14 Brisbane
26 Aug
CA Expo ’14 Sydney
26 Aug
Integrate 2014 Exhibition & Conference
27 Aug
BizTalk Summit 2014, Australia
View all events